Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Questions on a DD turbo truck project.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 11:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions on a DD turbo truck project.

I am about to start on a little different kind of project, I am putting a GENIII LS series motor into my 79 Jeep J-20 that is in the process of getting restored. I have a LM7 and a LQ4 tracked down as well as 4L60E tranny. I know this has been done and is more or less an easy swap. I kinda want to but a home-brew blower on it. I know I can fab it, that's not a problem. Im just having a hard time figuring out what Turbo to use. I get confused on A/R ratio's and Tsizes. More or less. I want a Turbo that comes into boost quick with relatively low boost numbers (6-8psi)(i think) I want a turbo designed for a truck more or less, I doubt this motor will see more than 5K RPM ever. I know their are cheaper off shore turbo's out their, but will they hold up in a DD application. I know I can use an intercooler from a early cummin truck as people have used them for cummins swap in j-truck before. What does the board say, Ideas on what turbo,and a guess at final HP/Torque numbers.

Also with the added power, should I consider a 4l80e? Ive considered a NV4500 5 speed as well (HD truck tranny)
Old 03-17-2009, 03:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mjs408
I am about to start on a little different kind of project, I am putting a GENIII LS series motor into my 79 Jeep J-20 that is in the process of getting restored. I have a LM7 and a LQ4 tracked down as well as 4L60E tranny. I know this has been done and is more or less an easy swap. I kinda want to but a home-brew blower on it. I know I can fab it, that's not a problem. Im just having a hard time figuring out what Turbo to use. I get confused on A/R ratio's and Tsizes. More or less. I want a Turbo that comes into boost quick with relatively low boost numbers (6-8psi)(i think) I want a turbo designed for a truck more or less, I doubt this motor will see more than 5K RPM ever. I know their are cheaper off shore turbo's out their, but will they hold up in a DD application. I know I can use an intercooler from a early cummin truck as people have used them for cummins swap in j-truck before. What does the board say, Ideas on what turbo,and a guess at final HP/Torque numbers.

Also with the added power, should I consider a 4l80e? Ive considered a NV4500 5 speed as well (HD truck tranny)
I have done a simaler build with a 5.3 in a 72 chevy 4x4 and turboed it. Best bang for the buck turbo is a Master Power T70. They have great reliably. That truck is my dads and has been DD for the last year without any problems. I have been running MP turbos on my truck for 2 years now, both a T70 and T76 now. At about $600 for a T70, you can't go wrong. Myself as well as ModularTurbo can get you one.

As for the tranny, it you keep the boost around 7 psi and put a shift kit and Vette servo in the 4l60e and don't abuse the snot out of it, it will be ok. If you want more, then you should look into the 80e or 5 speed.

Last edited by kbracing96; 03-17-2009 at 03:55 PM.