Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange misfire.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 11:58 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Strange misfire.

I have a strange misfire in my car. Its a cammed 2002 ls1 6 speed. Hasn't finished being tuned yet but it runs at stoich the o2's swithc. The spark is a little low but all the valve springs are good and pushrods and rockers.

I got into the computer with hp tuners and the misfire counter was particularly high on 8 with 2 and 7 showing a little. I reset it and swapped coils and 2 started going up more than 8. I pulled the reference wire off and engine didnt change much. Pulled the wire and it would only arc about half the time from coil to pulled wire. Got a coil today and she is still misfiring.

Not all the time. Likes 3 k + pulls into the gas a little but it sputters every now and then especially on take offs. Any ideas?
Old 03-18-2009, 09:34 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No thoughts. It has to be a combination of either ground and crank CASE learn. Or some other strange electrical problem because its working alot better now. YOu can floor it without missfires if you get in slow sometimes you can quick with minimal popping. it still pops a little taking off but I would assume so with a cam. We will see what the humidity does to it.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:38 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe check the ground wires on the back of the heads. I think there is 2 on the driver side and 1 on the passenger side. The bolts are big (15mm) and easy to locate. Easy to reach when the coil packs are off.

My car was having a similar problem a few weeks after I did my H/C install and it turned out to be one of the bolts had backed out a bit and the ground wires had a poor contact.