Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

window motor is shot

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2003, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default window motor is shot

how many of yall's window motor went out and about how much was it, and did yall just put in another camaro motor, or a diff motor that is better and faster, ours are just to damn slow!! mine went out today and its half way down!!!!
Old 10-19-2003, 11:32 PM
TECH Resident

Default Re: window motor is shot

My drivers side window drive motor went out on my SS and I replaced it myself with a SIEMENS motor from Autozone for about $75.00. It came with a lifetime warranty too! Check the forums for the instructions, it really easy to do. I had both window drive motors replaced on my WS6 under warranty and the SIEMENS motor from Autozone works better then the new GM oones in my opinion. The damn GM technician scrathced the window tint on both doors too. Luckily the service department was nice enough to replace the tint at no charge to me(20% tint...dark ). I would get the SIEMENS motors and the online instructions. You can get both windows done in about 2 hours or less. Just take your time. The stock drive motors are mounted to the window regulator with rivets. One you remove the motor the window wil fall down and you will have to find a way to hold up the glass while you replace the drive. I used a piece of wood. I had my wife-to-be hold the window up all the way and I slid the board through the door shell. It was wedged between the door structure and the regulator. The rivets are soft metal and need to be drilled out, but to access the rivets you will have to drill three small holes through the inner door shell, behind the door panel(you won't see these holes oonce the panel is re-installed). What you mount the new drive motors you will get new mounting hardware...small nuts&bolts instead of rivets. This is good becaue if you ever have to replace the motors again you just have to unscrew the nuts and bingo its off, no drilling! I used a little bit of loctite on the bolts to hold the motor to the regulator, so the nuts wouldn't loosen(I used the medium strength loctite, don't use the industrial stuff or you won't ever get them loose). I also put A LOT of white litium grease (spray) in the regulator tracks to help reduce rolling friction. Also spray some on the pivot points of the regulator too. When you get the door all packaged up and put back together, operate the windows to make sure all is well. Then open the door with the window up all the way. On the inner door jam(where the option code decal is)at the top, just below the window you will see a black rubber tiangular area that acts as a weather seal for the window. I took a brand new sharp razor blade and slightly trimmed that rubber off the glass to reduce the friction on the glass.
Old 10-20-2003, 01:39 AM
TECH Regular

my buddy's 96 camaro RS driver side window motor **** the bed on him down right before entering a car wash ..the kind where dudes clean it for you and they had to have like 15 cars waiting behind his to back out to clear a path for him to back out
Old 10-20-2003, 06:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

I put a autozone motor in Driverside window last year and have not had any problems
Old 10-20-2003, 08:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did my passenger window motor a couple weeks ago, big improvement. I too used the Siemens $75.00 motor from Autozone, comes with a lifetime warranty also. The install is very easy, getting the panel back on all lined up was the hardest part. Drilling out the rivets is very easy.

http://csce.uark.edu/~jgbertr/rb/alt...ndowmotor.html

I used this write-up for mine. I used the pictures to drill the holes to get to the rivets. A dremel with a sanding bit makes it much easier. Make sure you have eye and mouth protection though, you don't want that nasty fiberglass stuff in you. If you are doing the passenger side, the pictures will be reveresed. Oh, and unplug the motor after drilling out the rivets, sooooo much easier that sticking a screwdriver in a slot you can't see to unplug something you can't find....

Quick Reply: window motor is shot