Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need help, any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 08:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I need help, any ideas?

So a few months ago I was driving to school slowing down at a stop sign when I heard a 'clunk' almost as if I had run over something and my car died. Long story short, I can rotate the engine probably 80 degrees each way by hand before it stops (turns over super easy by hand) I unbolted all the rockers and everything looks fine, all the valves are there, push rods, all the spark plugs look fine. I pulled the timing cover off as well and the timing chain still looks great and still has the normal 'slack' in it when the motor stops turning over which leads me to think it's a some sort of a tranny/converter issue...

My car is a 98' Z28, MS3 full bolt-on car with a YankSS3600 stall, the whole combo has about 12k miles on it since a fresh rebuild but I have no idea what kind of shape the tranny was/is in. I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas on what would be causing this on the trans/converter/flywheel side of things. Has anyone pulled the trans without being able to unbolt the converter? The way things sit right now (not being able to rotate the motor more than 80 degrees each way) it's going to be impossible for me to get them all out. I want my car running again! lol
Old 03-17-2009, 08:40 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

While its no impossible the trans/converter could stop the engine its very very very unlikley. Never tried to pull a trans on a camaro like that but should be possible gonna be really messy though.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 03-17-2009, 09:22 PM
On The Tree

Default Flex plate

Check your flex plate!!!! Mine crack and made a clunk sound and it was eating at the rear of the block and bellhousing of the trans. The motor wouldnt turn but only half way then it would stick.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:31 PM
Staging Lane

Just for future reference in case this happens to someone else, I pulled the engine last weekend and (sort of) discovered what the problem was It seems that something in the transmission locked up and in turn busted a huge chunk out of the snout of my Yank SS3600 stall, which is what was allowing the motor to rotate only a certain amount