LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

quick question about non-vented opti & intake vaccum

Old 03-17-2009, 08:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quick question about non-vented opti & intake vaccum

i have a non vented opti and i just saw diagrams for the vaccum line for vented optis, but not unvented. mine is run with a piece of hose from the pcv valve to the nipple for a vented opti. is this correct? if i pull the pcv valve out of the intake the car still runs the same, if i take the pcv valve off the hose, the car runs like crap/will cut off.

also on the other side for the ccv line, i have no vaccum? should i have vaccum there? the rear rubber boot connected to the manifold has the infamous tear. would that cause me to not have vaccum in the ccv hose? thanks for any help clearing this up for me.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you mean the vent line to the Opti it should not connect to the PCV line but to a separate nipple on the mani above and behind the PCV location - I believe. As to the other line do you mean the vaccum line that connects to the FPR?
Old 03-17-2009, 09:47 PM
Staging Lane

yeah it is the vent line to the opti i was talking about. its just goes right from the opti vent line nipple to the pcv valve.

the other line im talking about is the crankcase ventilation hose on top of the passenger side valve cover that connects to the throttle body. should i have vaccum there? the boot i was talking about connects the air box to the intake. it has a nice sized tear right where it connects to the intake manifold.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no you should not have a vacuum line right there. As far as the opti vent line DAVE00 is right. It should not be connecter to the PCV line. I did a vented opti conversion on my car and the instructions that came with the msd said to use the nipple that is above and behind the PCV vacuum hose. This nipple is also the one that is connected to the EGR solenoid. That is the one that the vent hose that comes off the cap. The one that comes off the distributor itself connects to the intake tubing. This line allows the other vent line, which has a vacuum pull on it, to pull in frech air from the intake tube. The nipple on the distributor is dirrectly infront of the opti sensor allowing it to always have fresh air on it to keep it dry.

The other lines pulls any other moisture out to keep the rest of the distributor dry.

As far as the other line on the intake tube... was the one that is attached from the intake tube to the distributor the one you are talking about?
Old 03-18-2009, 08:03 PM
Staging Lane

i'm still unclear as to what i need to do with these hoses...i checked under the hood of another friends car and of course both of his are vented optis...
Old 03-18-2009, 08:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm confused. What is the problem you're having? Are you converting to a vented opti or what?
Old 03-18-2009, 08:18 PM
Staging Lane

no im not converting, i just want to be sure that my vacuum lines are connected properly. the way it is connected now has the pcv valve vacuum hose turned right back into the intake manifold plugged into the spot where a vented opti vacuum line would be connected. i dont know if thats the correct place for it to be but it just didnt look right to me.

also on the passenger side of the car, the line that connects from the throttle body to the top of the valve cover does not have any vacuum on it and i wanted to know if it should have vacuum. the rubber boot that screws on the front of the intake manifold has a tear in it and im sure its sucking air in there that it shouldnt be, but would that cause me to lose vacuum in the hose going to the valve cover?
Old 03-18-2009, 08:38 PM
TECH Addict

the hose that connects to the passenger side valve cover is the PCV hose. i think your mixing up other hoses.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:42 PM
Staging Lane

my pcv valve is plugged right into the intake in a grommet on the drivers side...

I just found it in the service manual. the way it is setup is correct. i still don't understand why i dont have vacuum on the passenger side hose over the valve cover
Old 03-19-2009, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

because that isnt a vacuum hose. It isnt a pcv hose it is a ccv hose. It only purpose is to pull crank case pressure out and reserculate it through the TB and back into the engine. So dont worry.The only time you might have a vacuum there is whene you detach it from the valve cover and leave it attached to the TB and put your finger on that end. Having a tear on the boot will not cause you any problems except allowing unfiltered air to enter your TB.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:44 PM
Staging Lane

thats what i needed to know, thanks man.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: quick question about non-vented opti & intake vaccum