LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Is the 292 XFI Cam good?

Old 03-18-2009, 02:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Is the 292 XFI Cam good?

I'v pretty much got everything I need but I'm not sure what Cam to get, I was thinking About getting this one.

Comp Cams XFI LT1 Camshaft, 242 / 248, .584 / .579 113 LSA

I already Have these Items

Lt4 Air intake manifold
1.6 Rocker Arms-Crane
58mm Throttle body-Edelbrock
Lifters
Springs-Behive good for 600 lift
Headers -Ported
Rocker Arm Studs
APR Cylinder Head Bolt Kit
Gasket Set
Underdrive puley "
Oil Pump High Volume
Performance Timimg Chain
Fuel Injectors Delphi 37ib
Old 03-18-2009, 02:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro-BMF
I'v pretty much got everything I need but I'm not sure what Cam to get, I was thinking About getting this one.

Comp Cams XFI LT1 Camshaft, 242 / 248, .584 / .579 113 LSA

I already Have these Items

Lt4 Air intake manifold
1.6 Rocker Arms-Crane
58mm Throttle body-Edelbrock
Lifters
Springs-Behive good for 600 lift
Headers -Ported
Rocker Arm Studs
APR Cylinder Head Bolt Kit
Gasket Set
Underdrive puley "
Oil Pump High Volume
Performance Timimg Chain
Fuel Injectors Delphi 37ib
That's a HUGE cam for a stock cubed motor. Even with ported heads and all the bolt on's. You will have to build the bottom end to handle a lot of rpm's to make the most out of that cam.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

That would be a very poor choice with a stock bottom end sorry to say. Hopefully fergemoto will chime in, he ran that cam with stock heads/bottom end and it was still making power up to 7,000rpm. It sure sounds wicked but wayyy too much cam for a stock short block car, not to mention the stock heads will be holding you back.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:46 PM
12 Second Club

ok that scares me cuz i just bought this cam, with almost the same exact setup. what would you change if you ran this cam ?

im not trying to hijack any threads but suggestions would help......

ENGINE BLOCK=Hot Tanks/bead cleaned
Hone&bore .030 over
Torque plate bore service
Line hone mains
OE cast crank shaft cut 10/10
OE connecting rods reconditioned

PARTS LIST=Clevite bearings mains/rods
TRW forged pistons 10.1 compression
Seal power molly rings
ARP rod bolts
Stock replacement timing chain
New GM water pump drive asm.
melling high volume oil pump
New freeze plugs/gally plugs

CYLINDER HEADS=OE Stock heads Stage 2 port/polish job
Complete 3 angle valve job
mill head surface
new ferrea stainless valves/retainers
New valve guilds
New comp valve springs

should i still be worried with this cam too ???
i do have a stock bottom end and when you said that it red flagged pretty quickly.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:47 PM
Staging Lane

I plan on making it a stroker but not any time soon lol, Ill find something else
Old 03-18-2009, 03:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

one of the main reasons to stay away from cams that peak high is the factory rod bolts are the weak link. if you did a stock rebuild but used arp rod bolts you would probably be ok. The other factor is stock heads cant really support the kind of flow that a big cam like that requires. so, upgraded rod bolts and ported heads you can use whatever cam you like. just be prepared to rev it. I am no expert, just restating what i have experienced and read on here.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Next level
ok that scares me cuz i just bought this cam, with almost the same exact setup. what would you change if you ran this cam ?

im not trying to hijack any threads but suggestions would help......

ENGINE BLOCK=Hot Tanks/bead cleaned
Hone&bore .030 over
Torque plate bore service
Line hone mains
OE cast crank shaft cut 10/10
OE connecting rods reconditioned

PARTS LIST=Clevite bearings mains/rods
TRW forged pistons 10.1 compression
Seal power molly rings
ARP rod bolts
Stock replacement timing chain
New GM water pump drive asm.
melling high volume oil pump
New freeze plugs/gally plugs

CYLINDER HEADS=OE Stock heads Stage 2 port/polish job
Complete 3 angle valve job
mill head surface
new ferrea stainless valves/retainers
New valve guilds
New comp valve springs

should i still be worried with this cam too ???
i do have a stock bottom end and when you said that it red flagged pretty quickly.
You might look into a cam in the 230's duration. I would recommend getting a cam like Ai's 230/238 cam or LE's 230/234 cam.

Originally Posted by Camaro-BMF
I plan on making it a stroker but not any time soon lol, Ill find something else
I think you will be much happier doing so.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:35 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
You might look into a cam in the 230's duration. I would recommend getting a cam like Ai's 230/238 cam or LE's 230/234 cam.

I think you will be much happier doing so.

any reason why ?
would that cam not make good power in that setup ?
what is the reasoning for this ?

i just talked to larry from speed inc. and the only thing i was told is i would get much street abiality from this car, which i wasnt planning on either.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

any reason why ?
would that cam not make good power in that setup ?
what is the reasoning for this ?

i just talked to larry from speed inc. and the only thing i was told is i would get much street abiality from this car, which i wasnt planning on either.
Only reasoning is that, like you said, the car won't have any street manners, get horrible gas mileage, and you short block would have to be build to handle rpms to make power with that cam. That doesn't bother some people though. It will make power, just where it peaks will be very high. If you are comfortable spinning to 7k rpms, than go for it.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:14 PM
Launching!

i was going to run that cam in my 383 but desided to go with the good old gm 847..if i was u i would try out that cam.. sounds just as good at idle and makes good power...and not quite as big as the 292
Old 03-18-2009, 05:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by th3brandon
i was going to run that cam in my 383 but desided to go with the good old gm 847..if i was u i would try out that cam.. sounds just as good at idle and makes good power...and not quite as big as the 292
In a 383 I think it would be a great candidate, bigger cubes tame large duration and lift. But I don't think it's the most ideal cam for a stock cubed build.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:24 PM
12 Second Club

Only reasoning is that, like you said, the car won't have any street manners, get horrible gas mileage, and you short block would have to be build to handle rpms to make power with that cam. That doesn't bother some people though. It will make power, just where it peaks will be very high. If you are comfortable spinning to 7k rpms, than go for it.

the cams power bands is rated from 2200 to 6200 rpms, your saying 7K
a normal 350 LT1 usually redliners at that. doesnt it ?
Old 03-18-2009, 05:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

FYI, The rpm ratings that Comp Cams as well as other cam manufacturers give are 99% of the time incorrect. Also, you shift a couple/few hundred rpm's after a camshafts peak if you want to use a cam to its potential.

Maybe fergymoto will see this and post up his dyno sheet. His xfi292 was still making power at 7000rpm and I believe it didnt show any signs of letting off.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

No, as StealthFormula stated, the rpm band is off.
Also you can set your rev limiter to anything you want it to be, but the computer won't be able to handle over 7k rpm. That cam will peak HIGH. I think stock LT1 redline is something a little before 6k rpms.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:40 PM
12 Second Club

thanks for the help. i called my engine builder and the things that need to be changed are in the process. Im glad i saw this thread before we started putting in parts. If the car will not have bad gas mileage and bad street manners thats fine with me, its more or less for the track anyways. It can be street driven just around town tho it seems.

Does anyone know the power it made with fergymoto ?
400,500,600hp obviously our cars are going to be different in things but it should put around the same numbers.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

thanks for the help. i called my engine builder and the things that need to be changed are in the process. Im glad i saw this thread before we started putting in parts. If the car will not have bad gas mileage and bad street manners thats fine with me, its more or less for the track anyways. It can be street driven just around town tho it seems.

Does anyone know the power it made with fergymoto ?
400,500,600hp obviously our cars are going to be different in things but it should put around the same numbers.
I'm assuming that you will have your intake manifold ported to match your heads, and you will be adding a 58mm TB, CAI, LT headers, and free-flowing exhaust to your mod list.

That being said, I can see you being in the upper 400's rwhp, assuming you can spin your engine high enough.
You will want to be sure to do your research and optimize the rest of your build: suspension mods, stall (if auto), gears, and tire. Weight reduction goes a long way too.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

fergymotot is now running an AI 226/234 cam and much happer than he was with the XFI crap.

Really easy to say a cam will make "upper 400rwhp" not a real world estimation though. Not a lot of 430+rwhp NA LT1s out there much less 450+ and this recipe is not close to that. One company has proven time and time again to be able to make 440+ at the wheels through an automatic with a nice 383 and a hydraulic cam but people don't like to hear about that.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:12 PM
12 Second Club

I'm assuming that you will have your intake manifold ported to match your heads, and you will be adding a 58mm TB, CAI, LT headers, and free-flowing exhaust to your mod list.

That being said, I can see you being in the upper 400's rwhp, assuming you can spin your engine high enough.
You will want to be sure to do your research and optimize the rest of your build: suspension mods, stall (if auto), gears, and tire. Weight reduction goes a long way too.

that car is deffently setup for all of those.

The deal is i had a 396 setup is this car and it straved for oil and broke down some parts badly which was 3 years ago. Im pretty aggervatied at this point with the car and getting really tired of it sitting on the driveway.

The does have to support the motor -

Dnyatech Longtubes
BBK 58MM TB
Full suspension w/ QA1's all around.
TH400 on a brake
TCI 3600 Stall
Moser 12 bolt w/ 4:11 richmond 33 spline
LS1 Ram - Air Custom Lid
SLP Catless Y-pipe into the SLP 1 exhaust.
etc.....

so its truly not going to be a drive around state car, it will always be trailered everytime it goes to the track not driven and if its upper 400hp ill be happy. my 396 made in the low 600 before it blew up.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:14 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
fergymotot is now running an AI 226/234 cam and much happer than he was with the XFI crap.

Really easy to say a cam will make "upper 400rwhp" not a real world estimation though. Not a lot of 430+rwhp NA LT1s out there much less 450+ and this recipe is not close to that. One company has proven time and time again to be able to make 440+ at the wheels through an automatic with a nice 383 and a hydraulic cam but people don't like to hear about that.
if i knew that i would've went with it until i found the motor i did and started to build on that.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr

Ok, maybe I was a little optimistic with throwing out that figure.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is the 292 XFI Cam good?