Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Crank -worth it to have Rod Journals Turned?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 02:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Crank -worth it to have Rod Journals Turned?

I have an LS1 crank that spun a rod bearing. I talked to a couple machine shops and they don't weld the cranks to bring them back up to standard. Will you or how far would you be willing to turn down the rod journals? .010, .020 .030?

Would it be cheaper to locate another LS1 crank?

S
Old 03-18-2009, 06:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 412 Likes on 293 Posts

It's perfectly acceptable to have the rods and mains Turned undersized. some motors like the the stupid ford Mod motors can only go .020 under sized. On the LS1, I know the rod journal can go .030 under sized since it uses a standard chevy rod bearing... as far as the mains go I would have to see if they have .030 under main bearings available.

They usually only weld higher end cranks as a repair when the crank won't service or looks to close to tell if it will fall within the service limit. They usually never try to return it to standard size. The cost of welding Vs. finding a good core Only makes welding a necessity on a crank that has a high replacement cost value.

Always go the least amount possible and use a reputable Crank grinder. You get what you pay for. I have a hard to find crank for am old Pontiac 455 that I pulled out of a junk motor. If you look at the finish work of the crank Its easy to see why the motor came apart so soon. It's basically ruined for a 455 application but I can have the mains turned down and use it for a stoker in the smaller 400 Pontiac block.

I don't mind paying more for an engine that's going to see some abuse as apposed to paying less from another local grinder for stock rebuild application. The finish on the Journals Is much nicer from the Higher guy in my area and he usually holds a more even tolerance from one end to the other...
Old 03-18-2009, 06:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. Another question. I don't like the look of the two rods that came off of that journal. The engine has 12k miles. Rods are $105 ea from the dealer or would sourcing a couple used rods do the trick? I am going with ARP rod bolts.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can fined stock cranks in the for sale section for what it cast to have one turned
Old 03-18-2009, 11:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 412 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by 67camNKC
Thanks for the reply. Another question. I don't like the look of the two rods that came off of that journal. The engine has 12k miles. Rods are $105 ea from the dealer or would sourcing a couple used rods do the trick? I am going with ARP rod bolts.
Used rods would work just fine. Make sure you have them checked out by a reputable machine shop. For what one rod cost from the dealer I can get you a full set of used rods that have been cleaned and inspected, ship them to you, and you can still buy a nice dinner... LOL If you would like, let me know There is a good Rod guy out near me and I am sure he can either send you what ever you need for a reasonable price. Or when I get a chance I could go down there. it's up to you...

Last time I talked to him about getting a set of some LS1 rods He said he only has around 300 or so of the LS1 rods just laying around... He actually had to tell his core guys to stop bringing them cause there just pilling up. He has LS2 rods but he was a little more proud of them... still cheap in comparison to Just 1 for roughly the same price through the dealer....

Quick Reply: LS1 Crank -worth it to have Rod Journals Turned?