General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

no left turn signal

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 05:39 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default no left turn signal

my left turn signal doesnt work, and neither does the daytime running light. but when i turn the headlights on the running light works but not the turn signal. does anyone have any idea what this could be?

i was thinking maybe the DRL relay, but i cant get the part from an autopart store (they always give me the wrong thing). does anyone know where these are located?

thanks
Old 03-18-2009, 06:18 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First check to see if the bulb is out, I know you said they turn on when you turn on the headlights but there are 2 bulbs in the housing, they both turn on when you turn on the headlights, just check to see if the turn signal bulb is out. Check to be sure there isn't any corrosion on the socket too. Next I would replace the flasher relay located under the steering column. You remove 3-4 screws to take out the plastic panel and it's located towards the right side I believe. The DRL Module fuse is located in the fuse box facing the driver side door. It's the one labeled TAIL LPS. Hope that helps!
Old 03-18-2009, 06:28 PM
Launching!

O I guess I forgot to mention that the lights and sockets are fine, I've already checked them, and I know its not the flasher because that would make both sides not flash
Old 03-19-2009, 03:08 PM
Launching!

bump for the day
Old 03-19-2009, 03:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

When the headlights are on, it is the dim filament on. Turn signal and DRLs use the brighter filament. It is probably just the bulb has a bad bright filament. Replace the bulb.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:33 PM
Launching!

Ok thanks, ill try that
Old 03-21-2009, 06:12 PM
Teching In

To add another strange twist to this. My left front turn signal and drl works when the headlights are on, for instance, in the garage.When outside in the sun the left drl doesn't come on and the turn signal does not work. I tried the drl bypass with the snap lock/ quick lock wire connector and it did not disable the drl's.

Any suggestions as to a fix for this? This is on a '97 Z28.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:31 PM
Teching In

Sorry, I made a mistake in the previous post. I tried to disable the auto headlights, not the drl I like the drl.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Did it work before you put that quick lock on? If so, take the quick lock back off and see if it corrects itself. If it does, then you did it wrong somehow. But it is kinda weird.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:03 PM
Teching In

The auto headlights worked but the left front drl and left front turn signal did not when the lights were off but did when the lights were on. Is everyone confused yet? I don't know why the quick lock fix didn't work but I am more concerned about the turn signals than the auto lights. And I have replaced the socket for the drl and turn signal but these electical gremlins are hard to find. The voltmeter reads 18+ when actual is 13.8 but the fuel and oil gauges read low ????????

As an example, my RX7 turn signal problem turned out to be a bad connection in the backside of the fuse block. I am wondering if the front left hand drl/turn signal problems are fairly common ?

Last edited by jpdavis; 03-24-2009 at 11:10 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well the reason why it doesn't work with lights off but does with lights on is the DRL/turn signal bulbs are dual filament. DRLs and turn signals use the bright filament, running lights with the headlights on are the dimmer filament.

Have you tried changing the bulb?

For the auto headlights, you sure you did the right pair of wires? One pair is for the sensor, the other pair is for the LED. If you grabbed the LED wires or one LED wire and one sensor wire it won't disable the auto headlights. What I did to be sure I got the right ones was I lifted the dash pad, unplugged the sensor, and used a piece of wire to jumper the connector on the wires then taped it up real good. Was pretty easy and allows for reverting to auto headlights by simply pulling the jumper and plugging the sensor back in.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by tavi_ws6
O I guess I forgot to mention that the lights and sockets are fine, I've already checked them, and I know its not the flasher because that would make both sides not flash
I thought that was the case too. I'm chasing down a similar issue. Only my right side turn signals worked. I changed out that flasher and the rear left signal started working too (as well as the left signal in the dash). I'm down to having just the left front signal out at the moment.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by johnlv6
I thought that was the case too. I'm chasing down a similar issue. Only my right side turn signals worked. I changed out that flasher and the rear left signal started working too (as well as the left signal in the dash). I'm down to having just the left front signal out at the moment.
That means your flasher was still good. The stock flasher won't flash when you have a bulb not working. Aftermarket flashers will usually as you found out, but doesn't fix the bad bulb.
Old 09-06-2009, 03:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
That means your flasher was still good. The stock flasher won't flash when you have a bulb not working. Aftermarket flashers will usually as you found out, but doesn't fix the bad bulb.
Yeah...I'm a dummy. You're correct and my issue is fixed.

Quick Reply: no left turn signal