Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help for ticking noise.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 08:23 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default need help for ticking noise.

i've had a ticking noise in my tahoe for awhile. i can't seem to figure out what it is. so far i have swapped lifters and heads (did the heads just to lower compression) swapped all the push rods from one side of the motor to the other along with the rockers. that didn't help. the tick is always on the same side. it gets louder with a load on the motor. knowing this i pulled the coil pack wires one at a time to see if the noise would go away, and it didn't. also heads have new springs and seals. could this be the oil pump making noise? sometime it seems like its at the front of the motor but its hard to tell. after you listen for so long it all blends together lol. but you can definitely tell its not on the driver side. but the alternator is kinda in the way of sound when you move to the driver side, if it were in the front.

hard to explain. i jope some of this makes since.

here is a vid from the beginning before i swapped lifters.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/t...tap_636916.htm
Old 03-19-2009, 02:21 AM
Launching!

What cam are you running?

Assuming it's not a lifter giving you the problem......
One option is to run a good flushing oil through it to clean all the gunk out of it, and then change to a 10w40 or 15wXX oil to see if that quietens it down.

A lot of noisey LS engines are much quieter if you move away from 0w-- and 5w-- oils.
(The Castrol 10w60 has had a lot of success at doing this very thing).
Old 03-19-2009, 06:17 AM
12 Second Truck Club

but why would it go from being nice and quiet motor to a tapping motor? never had this problem before until now.