Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

this glue an'it holding worth a dam

Old 03-19-2009, 07:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default this glue an'it holding worth a dam

I'm attemping to glue a small tear in the TA front bumper right at the flange
where it bolts to the fender.

did these folks at the paint supply place sell me the wronge glue ?
I'm really surprized in how crappie it worked.

the images are'nt that great but you can get an idea of the repair.

image of glue here
http://www.geocities.com/stevethebody3/materials.htm

the stuff on the right

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails this glue an'it holding worth a dam-bumpertear2.jpg   this glue an'it holding worth a dam-bumpertear4.jpg  
Old 03-19-2009, 07:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will have to add material on the inside for the glue to hold that back together, or vee it out and then shape it back after the glue dries. I usually take another crap bumper and cut off some strips to back the repair with or fiberglass cloth will work in that glue as well helps to add strength otherwise it will just keep busting out like that. I have even pop riveted pieces to the bumper fixing cracks and tears and after it all dried then take out the rivets and fill in the holes you made. Hope this helps you out a little good luck with the repair it can be a pain
Old 03-19-2009, 08:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

what kind of glue is it?
Old 03-19-2009, 08:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default glue

?1. so this is the correct glue? they had 2 types of this stuff flexable and rigid
the girl did'nt know so I picked the rigid.

the right side has a much smaller tear seams to be holding there.

I let this glue dry for a couple hours in the sun seamed stronge untill I put just a tiny preasure pulling back?

I'm trying to glue the metal flange to the hard plastic inside bumper glue seams to be stuck good to the plastic but not the metal flange I would preferr not to drill the rivots and remove this metal flange any thought?

Thanks
Old 03-19-2009, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default epoxy

Originally Posted by redramair98
what kind of glue is it?
image of glue here
http://www.geocities.com/stevethebody3/materials.htm

the stuff on the right

Thanks
Old 03-19-2009, 09:48 AM
Launching!

the glue is not gonna stick to the metal unless you make the metal rough with some sand paper if the metal has a rough finish the glue will stick better.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default epoxy

Originally Posted by strokerblackhawk
the glue is not gonna stick to the metal unless you make the metal rough with some sand paper if the metal has a rough finish the glue will stick better.
OK I'll rugh it up a little will cutting small groves in metal w/dremel work better?

Hey man sorry about being nasty the other day it just seamed like alot of stuff was'nt working right stuff breaking just going though a bunch of crap lately not here but in life.
sorry man and thanks for the tips.

I can't seam to get a good image of this epoxy first time it came loose even though it appeared to be stronge was maybe 1/8" thick

maybe I should cake it on?
Old 03-19-2009, 11:02 AM
Launching!

its cool, if that doesn't work use some material (woven material) over it kinda like the stuff you use for fiberglass, dremeling it would probably work good too. And yeah i know how it is breaking stuff seems like i've been getting better at breaking exspensive **** in the last two years.lolol
Old 03-20-2009, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default still not sticking

Originally Posted by WYATT318MOPAR
You will have to add material on the inside for the glue to hold that back together, or vee it out and then shape it back after the glue dries. I usually take another crap bumper and cut off some strips to back the repair with or fiberglass cloth will work in that glue as well helps to add strength otherwise it will just keep busting out like that. I have even pop riveted pieces to the bumper fixing cracks and tears and after it all dried then take out the rivets and fill in the holes you made. Hope this helps you out a little good luck with the repair it can be a pain
you where right about it being a pain I tryed to just goob on the epoxy did'nt work I'm thinking super glue or gorilla glue would be stronger than this stuff the paint supply store sold me is this epoxy they sold me any good?

I don't see a way to add strips of additional material since it's in a corner.

I'm really dissappointed in the man that repaired this bumper I paid him real good money to fix and he did a shitty job maybe I'll have to talk to him about a redo not to optimistic though about him.

looks like I'll be forced to purchase another bumper an completely repaint hope it matches the hood & fenders.

Thanks for the tip on the repair.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: this glue an'it holding worth a dam