Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

any problems with wrapping exaust pipes??

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 11:46 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any problems with wrapping exaust pipes??

ok so my exaust shop said not to wrap my exaust because it will make it deteriorate faster. but I want to spool up faster and Im told on here you gotta wrap it. what are the pros and cons?? anybody experience the exaust needing replaced sooner due to wrapping their exaust??

~Guy
Old 03-19-2009, 11:49 AM
TECH Resident

i dont see how it'd deteriorate.. since ur protecting it from the elements by wrapping it. i'd like to hear what others have to say lol
Old 03-19-2009, 12:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sujomatt
i dont see how it'd deteriorate.. since ur protecting it from the elements by wrapping it. i'd like to hear what others have to say lol
Yes it does, when you wrap it, it basically deteriorates from the inside out. It helps with spooling but it cuts the life down of your exhaust.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How about stainless steel piping?
Old 03-19-2009, 02:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by allthrotle
Yes it does, when you wrap it, it basically deteriorates from the inside out. It helps with spooling but it cuts the life down of your exhaust.
thought the wrap held moisture
Old 03-19-2009, 02:51 PM
TECH Resident

yea not getting the big picture yet as to how it causes deterioration

heat is causing this? moisture?
Old 03-19-2009, 07:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sujomatt
yea not getting the big picture yet as to how it causes deterioration

heat is causing this? moisture?
Yes when you wrap it, it has no air flow to let it cool properly, the wrap holds all that heat inside and deteriorates the pipe from the inside out. Holding that heat in is good for turbo spool but, not for longevity.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Monello
How about stainless steel piping?
stainless should be fine...mild steel is the bad actor
Old 03-20-2009, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

i heard that stainless was actually worse to wrap because of the metal's properties. Is this founded?
Old 03-20-2009, 07:24 PM
TECH Regular

ok so roughly how much life is lost by wrapping it?? anybody have a system they wrapped and have replaced because of the wrap?? and how long did it last?? going with mandrel bent exaust so its a little spendy and should help improve spool as it is so is it worth the wrap???

~Guy
Old 03-20-2009, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

People say, and it makes sense, that wrap can hold in moisture and slowly rot out the headers (mainly mild steel)
I've been teetering back and forth on whether to use wrap or coating. It looks like $80 will buy enough wrap to do all the hotparts. I've received a few quotes on 2,000*F ceramic coating for about $400-$500 for all the hotparts. I would imagine ceramic coating would hold the heat in better, look better, and not rot the metal.
I'm leaning towards coating considering what's a few hundred more bucks on top of the thousands upon thousands.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:05 PM
10 Second Club

I've done both and if you have expensive high quality pieces I would coat them, if you have cheaper pieces like my present car I would just wrap them.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:23 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by mike13
I've done both and if you have expensive high quality pieces I would coat them, if you have cheaper pieces like my present car I would just wrap them.
Or you could get them coated, and then wrap them. you then have the ceramic holding in the heat, and no allowing it to rust, and the wrap holding in the heat.

When you wrap the pipes you can use a silicone spray on them, that is supposed to help, but i just know what i have read, no first hand experience yet.

That being said all my hot parts will be wrapped this yr.

Chris
Old 03-20-2009, 10:11 PM
9 Second Club

my ofi headers are coated and wrapped
Old 03-20-2009, 11:14 PM
On The Tree

I had DEI regular wrap(not black/ or copper) with the silicone spray on my headers for my 75 lemans dd. The headers (non stainless) were brand new when wrapped/ sprayed and I put about 15,000 miles on them before they rusted quarter size holes thru them it got so loud I had to get new headers.

When ever I drove in the rain, the wrap would get soaked and you could see and hear it steaming when I shut off the car. I had a more than one person (non car people) become alarmed when they noticed what they thought was smoke from a fire.

I don't think I'll use wrap again.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:25 PM
Staging Lane

This is statement from stahl headers about header wrap.
Should I use a Header Wrap?
NO! ABSOLUTELY NOT. There is nothing that will damage a header faster than the use of a header wrap, other than attacking it with a hammer or shot gun. As advertised, these wraps do keep the majority of exhaust gas temperatures within the header. The result is the wraps will prohibit the header tubing from cooling properly. If you reduce the ability for headers to dissipate adequate heat properly, the result will be premature failure of the metal. Depending upon the application use and temperatures involved, the life can be reduced to only a few hours. We consider exhaust wraps to be the header manufacturer's best friend.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:22 AM
TECH Addict

I have wrapped my exhausts and mufflers in my last three setups. I use ceramic batting underneath black header wrap:

I don't run my car in the rain anymore, but even when I did, I have never had an exhaust failure because of a pipe rusting out. Notice I put the seams of the cramic batting pointing straight down.

I also use coated headers, and one time I wrapped part of the ends of my collectors and that burned off the coating and was rusted pretty bad when I took off the wrap. Coatings do not like being wrapped.

Paint does not seem to help under the wrap as it simply burns off due to the elevated heat levels at the tubing.

One lesson I learned was to wrap from the back of the car to the front, so that each leading edge of the wrap gets tucked under the next loop. When I did my first system, I wrapped one from front to back, and the wind catches the leading edge and frays it pretty quickly. I had to rewrap that one within a year.

Jim
Old 03-22-2009, 01:42 PM
mcx
Staging Lane

..i recommend using header/exhaust wrap and HVAC foil tape...the foil tape prevents the rain from getting absorbed....the water bounces right off!!

Quick Reply: any problems with wrapping exaust pipes??