Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Question? DIY fuel pump hotwire kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 02:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Question? DIY fuel pump hotwire kit

I'm making my own fuel pump hotwire kit for my Walbro 255. I'm going to just run 10g wire from alternator to relay and trigger the relay with the original fuel pump power wire, but how do I get the wires from the pump out of the tank? I saw on the DIY twin pump sticky, they drilled a hole in sending unit and just used a grommet and some GOOP. Will that seal it good enough? I was trying to find some kind of wire bulkhead connector or something besides a grommet. Let me know if you have any ideas.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:52 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drilling a hole in the sender & using glue/silicone is really a poor way to do this. You risk having leaks & also may end up using wire in the tank that is not rated for immersion in fuel. No sense in making your own to save $20-30 & end up with something dangerous or failure prone when there are good kits out there.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where can I get a kit for a 98?
Old 03-19-2009, 10:16 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I can get you a plug-n-play one for $67 plus shipping.

As far as pumps, did you already buy the pump? I have complete kits with the pump as well. Call me if I can be of help.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

in the sticky poster's defense. that combo has run 8's and been problem free for 5 years and over 50k miles.

..some say drag racing a car is dangerous too
Old 03-23-2009, 07:10 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Not to discredit your sticky in any way, but as an engineer & business owner, I could not recommend doing something like this.

There are too many variables that could cause a bad outcome. All it takes is a bifferent brand of cement that dissolves from fuel or a brand of insulation that does not agree with fuel used, or the fact that there are numerous mixes of fuel out there that may interact differently with one of these components under a non-tested situation.

Trying to defend myself (& potentially lose my life savings) based on a circumstances beyond my control is not something I am willing to chance... even if it is a one in a million chance. For personal use, I have done things for myself, that I would not do for a customer. As always, the decision is yours as is the outcome.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lonnies Performance
I can get you a plug-n-play one for $67 plus shipping.

As far as pumps, did you already buy the pump? I have complete kits with the pump as well. Call me if I can be of help.
what wire do you sell that is plug and play
Old 03-23-2009, 10:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

i agree completely, and this guy doing the DIY is not a business owner and doesnt have to deal with the things you do, myself being an engineer as well, can handle selecting the right sealant and wiring for the job.

Originally Posted by Lonnies Performance
Not to discredit your sticky in any way, but as an engineer & business owner, I could not recommend doing something like this.

There are too many variables that could cause a bad outcome. All it takes is a bifferent brand of cement that dissolves from fuel or a brand of insulation that does not agree with fuel used, or the fact that there are numerous mixes of fuel out there that may interact differently with one of these components under a non-tested situation.

Trying to defend myself (& potentially lose my life savings) based on a circumstances beyond my control is not something I am willing to chance... even if it is a one in a million chance. For personal use, I have done things for myself, that I would not do for a customer. As always, the decision is yours as is the outcome.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:05 PM
11Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did a DIY job. It was easy, works well, and saved me money.

On the other hand, I'm still throwing P0440 codes, so I assume I haven't sealed it up quite right yet, so it's not perfect. I've spent half a tube of goop on the hole those wires go through!

Quick Reply: Question? DIY fuel pump hotwire kit