Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Who all has disabled Burst Knock?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 06:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Who all has disabled Burst Knock?

I keep loosing timing under boost, about 2-4* and have come to the conclusion that when the boost comes on that the PCM interprets it as burst knock. Anyone have any input on this?
Old 03-20-2009, 07:03 PM
10 Second Club

The answer is.........YES! I zeroed out both burst knock tables and now I have all the timing I am commanding.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:25 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WS6HUMMER
The answer is.........YES! I zeroed out both burst knock tables and now I have all the timing I am commanding.
Most people will tell you not to. But alot of people i have talked to have zeroes them out with 0 issues, and got the results they wanted.

once im sure my afr's are good, they will be zerod out for me aswell, because my car enjoys pulling timing.
Chris
Old 03-20-2009, 09:06 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sideways240sx
Most people will tell you not to. But alot of people i have talked to have zeroes them out with 0 issues, and got the results they wanted.

once im sure my afr's are good, they will be zerod out for me aswell, because my car enjoys pulling timing.
Chris
Oh yeah I made sure I knew my AFR under boost was safe before I got brave. Honestly though I downloaded a few 93 octane stock C.R. tunes and checked out what they did with the burst knock tables first, 2 out of 3 zeroed them entirely and the other zeroed them except for the very low RPM cells.

Do you not have a wideband?
Old 03-23-2009, 09:22 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a wideband. just not alot of tunning experiance. I hope to get alot of practice this summer playing on my car. Right now i know more of what i have read, and been told, then actual first hand.

Chris
Old 03-23-2009, 10:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder if this is my problem. I have been looking at why I get some KR. Sometimes my timing is really low and I still get some KR with 91 and meth. My AFR looked good, and I am never in a lot of boost when I seem to be getting the KR...
Old 03-23-2009, 10:50 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by H21surfer
I wonder if this is my problem. I have been looking at why I get some KR. Sometimes my timing is really low and I still get some KR with 91 and meth. My AFR looked good, and I am never in a lot of boost when I seem to be getting the KR...
If it shows knock on the KR PID its not burst knock, burst knock is an alltogether different PID that dosent even use the knock sensors. You can set up in your main table to log if you want to see if your getting any but it wont show up on the KR PID. If you are showing KR and you dont suspect its real it may be the exhaust hitting the body somewhere or something like that. I had to disable my knock sensors all together, I have solid engine mounts and my rear suspension is all metal rod ends (very noisy too) where rubber used to be. Didnt want to get rid of the knock sensors but I was forced too.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WS6HUMMER
If it shows knock on the KR PID its not burst knock, burst knock is an alltogether different PID that dosent even use the knock sensors. You can set up in your main table to log if you want to see if your getting any but it wont show up on the KR PID. If you are showing KR and you dont suspect its real it may be the exhaust hitting the body somewhere or something like that. I had to disable my knock sensors all together, I have solid engine mounts and my rear suspension is all metal rod ends (very noisy too) where rubber used to be. Didnt want to get rid of the knock sensors but I was forced too.
Yeah, it does look like it is not the burst knock, but maybe it is just false knock. I guess maybe it is just false knock... I thought it might have used the same PID.

I have always heard about people reducing the sensitivity of the knock sensor in boosted cars, but I am not sure about doing that. You said you disable the sensor all together? It does seem to pull a lot of timing though, and I do not think it is actual KR.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:21 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by H21surfer
Yeah, it does look like it is not the burst knock, but maybe it is just false knock. I guess maybe it is just false knock... I thought it might have used the same PID.

I have always heard about people reducing the sensitivity of the knock sensor in boosted cars, but I am not sure about doing that. You said you disable the sensor all together? It does seem to pull a lot of timing though, and I do not think it is actual KR.
I just desensatized mine so much that it wouldnt even pick it up if the motor exploded. I was getting KR everytime I hit a pothole or a bump in the road but never when accelerating on a smooth road.

I tuned a 99 5.3L silverado once and man that thing had some crazy false knock! It shouldnt have either, it ran & drove smooth, I never advanced the timing one bit. I tried pulling a little timing just to make sure it wasnt real knock and it still had the same amount of KR. I did some research and learned that false knock was an issue on that year truck. You could just have a screwy knock sensor, did you notice if the car had any knock N/A?
Old 08-08-2011, 06:13 PM
Banned

**** guys sorry to bring up an old thread but i think this is my problem. Hummer like u stated i have 2-4* all the way throught boost.

Question is what should i zero out both of othe burst knock table in hptuners?
Old 08-09-2011, 05:49 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Busy Mopper
**** guys sorry to bring up an old thread but i think this is my problem. Hummer like u stated i have 2-4* all the way throught boost.

Question is what should i zero out both of othe burst knock table in hptuners?
Yeah I disabled both, the "enable delta cyl air" & the "vs rpm".
Old 08-09-2011, 06:05 PM
Banned

And that fixed it?! you put them both to zero?
Old 08-10-2011, 09:37 AM
10 Second Club

And that fixed it?! you put them both to zero?
Yes that fixed my problem. Another thing also to look at is the IAT advance table, my little 76 with .96 AR really heats up the air when I try to make 13#s or more. To run more boost without the timing being cut way back I started to pull a degree out of the retard portion of the table one degree at a time.
Bear in mind that the whole time I'm doing this at the track while running pure C16 & watching my trap speed making sure I dont see the mph decrease like it does right before it would detonate. I ended up pulling all the retard out & by the end of the night the car was trapping 5.5mph faster than the first pass that night.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:17 PM
Banned

Nice, yea i was watching my log and sure enought before it dentonated it dropped mph. So you did all of that in the IAT advance table? basically u were commanding that it didnt pull timing at high IAT temps? what temp did it pull the first degree?
Old 08-10-2011, 01:19 PM
10 Second Club

Nice, yea i was watching my log and sure enought before it dentonated it dropped mph. So you did all of that in the IAT advance table? basically u were commanding that it didnt pull timing at high IAT temps? what temp did it pull the first degree?
Well as a general rule its recommended that you can 0 the retard amount out in the 100kpa line up to 150*, anything warmer you wanna have it pull timing. Well since my IAT's were high due to the turbo being pushed outside the efficiency range & me wanting that 9.99 slip I started pulling the timing from the 158* & 167* columns of the 100kpa line/row. I ended up with zeros in those 2 columns on that row, if you decide to try it make sure your A/F is dead on and go 1 degree at a time.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:24 PM
Banned

DAMN! so it wasnt pulling timing until like 150+?! sounds sketchy.

When im pulling timing from HO Table should i be adding fuel in the same spot?

Do i need the 3bar OS hptuners in order to tune all the way?!
Old 08-10-2011, 01:43 PM
10 Second Club

DAMN! so it wasnt pulling timing until like 150+?! sounds sketchy.

When im pulling timing from HO Table should i be adding fuel in the same spot?

Do i need the 3bar OS hptuners in order to tune all the way?!
Yeah its common for F/I tunes to have the 100 kpa line zeroed out up to 150*, turbos get hot!

Yo already have the 3 bar OS, if you look at your VE table you can see that it goes up to 315kpa which is 3 bar. I do highly recommend changing your boost enrichment table from 1.0 to 1.26 straight across the board.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:50 PM
Banned

i will def do that. How much fuel increase should i put on the VE table once i put the right injector scaling in?
Old 08-10-2011, 02:52 PM
Banned

Im currently looking into that right now. im very interested on how that works. HUMMER told me that my Fuel was increasing with my Regulartor and my map ????
Old 08-10-2011, 04:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

When running 9 psi I had burst knock active but phased out the degrees of retard to 0 by 3200 rpms and never saw a problem. Now the car is making more boost and it's getting 2-4* of real knock on throttle tip-in. Instead of lowering base timing I'm bringing the burst knock back in slowly until the real knock is gone. Also increased the delta thresholds based on the data logs so it doesn't activate unless I'm stomping on the go pedal. Tweaking burst knock reduction so it is active only as long as it's needed. With the stock setting it fades nearly 20 times faster than real knock reduction.

Quick Reply: Who all has disabled Burst Knock?