General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Door Glass Is Loose In Door - 94

Old 03-20-2009, 12:02 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Glass Is Loose In Door - 94

I have a 94 bird and the window is detached from what ever used to hold it in place. The glass will slide front to back in the door about 3 inches. The motor operator works fine. When I am rolling up the window I have to guide the glass to keep it from becoming wedged. I found the write up in shbox on how to get the inner door off.

My question is what am I to expect when I tear into it?

Any ideas as to the amount to work, damaged parts, or tricks on reassembly would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:42 AM
On The Tree

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...-write-up.html

read this, might help you. How can you move it? in and out? up and down? front to back?
Old 03-20-2009, 05:31 AM
11 Second Club

I can slide the glass from front to back. I have not attempted to lift the glass as I am afraid I might pull it out of something.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:24 PM
Teching In

I had the same exact problem with my drivers side window. It had about 6 inches of play in it. I pulled the inside door panel, and had a peek. The rearward roller had broken off the bracket that is attached to the window.

I attempted to put the roller back into the broken out hole, but it only lasted a few cycles before coming loose again.

I bought a replacement piece -you have to buy the whole piece that runs the entire length of the bottom of the window, as the roller pivot point is pressed into the solid piece. It ran me about $30. And then I proceeded to shatter the window when trying to drill out the 3 rivets that hold this bracketing to the windows itself.

A new window was $230 installed the next day.

I never called for quotes about getting the bracketing fixed from a shop, but I'd guess it would have been significantly less than $230.

Pull your door panel and have a look.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:54 PM
11 Second Club

i just fixed the same problem on mine today. i had the same issue as Lower had, but mine just has a crack in the bracket and the pin/bolt with the roller was wobbly as all heck. i could slide the window front to back, and wobble the top in/out. i just took the nut off the back of it, added a few washers and made a bushing because the hole was egged out, cranked it down tighter than hell and it's rock solid now. hopefully it'll hold up. i put the window up and down about 50 times and it's working great so far.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Lower
I had the same exact problem with my drivers side window. It had about 6 inches of play in it. I pulled the inside door panel, and had a peek. The rearward roller had broken off the bracket that is attached to the window.

I attempted to put the roller back into the broken out hole, but it only lasted a few cycles before coming loose again.

I bought a replacement piece -you have to buy the whole piece that runs the entire length of the bottom of the window, as the roller pivot point is pressed into the solid piece. It ran me about $30. And then I proceeded to shatter the window when trying to drill out the 3 rivets that hold this bracketing to the windows itself.

A new window was $230 installed the next day.

I never called for quotes about getting the bracketing fixed from a shop, but I'd guess it would have been significantly less than $230.

Pull your door panel and have a look.

where did you get the replacement piece? dealership?

Originally Posted by hallass
i just fixed the same problem on mine today. i had the same issue as Lower had, but mine just has a crack in the bracket and the pin/bolt with the roller was wobbly as all heck. i could slide the window front to back, and wobble the top in/out. i just took the nut off the back of it, added a few washers and made a bushing because the hole was egged out, cranked it down tighter than hell and it's rock solid now. hopefully it'll hold up. i put the window up and down about 50 times and it's working great so far.

how did you tighten it back down, the roller is pressed into the bracket from the factory.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:15 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by blue94
how did you tighten it back down, the roller is pressed into the bracket from the factory.
the little stem on it had actually egged the hole out in the bracket a little so it wasn't pressed tight anymore. there is an 11mm (i think that's what it was, i know it was an oddball) nut on the back of it though so i clamped the stem of the roller with vice grips and put a couple washers on the backside of the roller stem, then cranked it down tight.

Search this Thread