LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

manifold bolts broken in head

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 05:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default manifold bolts broken in head

i have two on the driver's side the first bolt is flush and the second to last snapped as i was taking it out then on the passagers side its the second one on down for m the front.....what should i do get some more heads or try to extract them
Old 03-20-2009, 05:51 PM
TECH Regular

If I were you I'd just pull the heads and either try the extractor, or just drill them out and tap the holes. You could do this in most cars with and angle drill, but I think the fender is too close to the engine to do this on these cars so the heads have to come off.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:29 PM
On The Tree

if you do use an extractor(easy out) use the straight serrated type and not the tapered style.
in the machine shop where I work they remove dozens of broken bolts every week, and charge extra if theres an easy out broken off in the item.

the best way to get a broken bolt out is to weld a nipple on the stud if its flush or below, and then weld a nut to it. then clamp a vicegrip on the nut and work it back and forth until it unscrews. dont worry if it breaks off, it may take several tries. especially if the heads are still on the car.
it is MUCH easier on the bench unless you are a good welder.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:01 PM
Launching!

On the one that it sticking out maby a stud remover if there is enough showing.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

check to make sure you need those bolt holes--i'm assuming you're swapping in headers? different companies utilize different bolt holes.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:35 PM
On The Tree

Im with rusted40 the easiest way is to just weld into the bolt and weld a nut on there. i did this with one of my but the motor was out of the car and the heads were coming off anyhow. much much easier on the bench but like he said it prolly could be done in the car. and also spray some pentrating oil in there and let it set it will help. i like to use pb blaster it works great
Old 03-20-2009, 08:47 PM
TECH Regular

I don't recommend easy outs at all. If they break off...which they usually do, they are hardened and can't be drilled into themselves to be removed with any sort of ease. If welding to the broken bolts is not something you want to do, try a Timesert. It is pretty easy to do and holds very well. We use them all the time on the exhaust/intake/gearboxes/whatever on our cars where I work and they last multiple seasons without issue normally.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:04 AM
TECH Resident

i checked to see if i could use the other holes but to Not my luck there were the same holes with bolts broken.. so i guess ill take off the heads today and see what the out come will be, i think its a good time to get some le2 heads since the heads are off i just should go all the way lol
Old 03-21-2009, 09:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Parifan wax is your friend. If you got the heads off just drill the bolt for what ever easy out needs to be used then take a torch and heat the metal up around the broken bolt just hot enough to melt the wax dab a piece of the wax around the bolt. Then take a punch and hammer and tap the bolt a few good times and it should back on out with an easyout. If it dont feel like its gonna move then dont force it. Its not that hard to break an easyout for the size of bolt you are talking about, especially cheap easyouts. If its that bad then just drill it out. Just my 2 cents. Ive always had great luck with the ole wax trick.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:19 AM
TECH Resident

ok thanks for the help im going to take them out today when i get off my butt... will give a update later

Quick Reply: manifold bolts broken in head