LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

tips on not tearing oil pan gasket

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 06:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tips on not tearing oil pan gasket

Hi all

I have read numerous threads about changing timing chains and removing the bolts to the oil pan, but have not seen one tip on what was done to get the oil pan separated from the block without tearing the gasket. My engine is 15 years old, has 208k on it, and never has had any work done to it other than tuneups, light maintenance, etc. If someone can shed some light on this I would appreciate it. Maybe heating it or tapping the pan with a rubber mallet, whatever worked for you I would appreciate it. I am getting ready to replace my timing chain, opti. By the way it is a non vented opti.

Thanks

Andy Schuck
Old 03-20-2009, 06:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by andysc
Hi all

I have read numerous threads about changing timing chains and removing the bolts to the oil pan, but have not seen one tip on what was done to get the oil pan separated from the block without tearing the gasket. My engine is 15 years old, has 208k on it, and never has had any work done to it other than tuneups, light maintenance, etc. If someone can shed some light on this I would appreciate it. Maybe heating it or tapping the pan with a rubber mallet, whatever worked for you I would appreciate it. I am getting ready to replace my timing chain, opti. By the way it is a non vented opti.

Thanks

Andy Schuck
Hi Andy.

There is a thread on this page explaining what you need to know. You need to loosen all but the last two oil pan bolts. You need to drop the pan about an inch to safely remove/install the timing cover.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:51 PM
TECH Regular

why the FO(*&^ do you not want to just change the gasket on a 200K miles motor???
Old 03-20-2009, 08:04 PM
Staging Lane

just did the cam swap and glad i changed the oil pan gasket worth the 25 dollars and couple of extra hours no oil leak
Old 03-20-2009, 08:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

most likely the gasket will just stick to the engine block and the pan will seperate no problem. it wont even look like a gasket is there. i know my pans gasket was in terrible condition at 65,000 miles. i would just replace it while your in there. the only part it might actually stick to is the timing cover. what you can do is take a razor blade and carefully cut each side when removing the cover to avoid any tearing
Old 03-20-2009, 10:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Geez, don't cut the gasket (you ruin the whole point of it being one piece). All you have to do is carefully pry it out of the bottom of the timing cover.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

200k miles! If you want to keep that pan gasket on there you are a very brave soul.

Quick Reply: tips on not tearing oil pan gasket