Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Electronic Suspension??

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 09:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electronic Suspension??

Hey everyone! I've been using the formus here at ls1tech for a while to help me along with little things, but this is my first post! I figured it would be a shot in thestem dark..and i'm still definately a newbie, but does anyone have any idea if theyres an electronic adjustable suspension available for the 93-97 f-bodies? I have a friend with 12-points, and i love em, but id just like to have a switch to adjust between normal, stiff, or drag. By the way, if theyre isn't anything, what works well in an adjustable suspension system for you guys? I really don't want to lose my comfy, ride, but i know its virtually impossible to have a stiff suspension that is still comfortable.
Old 10-20-2003, 10:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Electronic Suspension??

Koni makes an electric SPA1 drag shock that is adjustable from inside the car. I'm not sure if they build them for the new F-bodies and I'm not sure you want to pay for them either (about $2800 for the fronts as I remember). Otherwise, you will have to decide if it is a drag car (sounds like it) or a street car and shop accordingly.
Old 10-21-2003, 02:51 PM
Teching In

I found some koni electronically adjustable shocks at http://www.koni-na.com/racingprod.html and i think i might conisder that. I really would like to soup up my car, but i want a good turning ability, as well as launches. I would be willing to sacrafice a lot of ride comfort for those. These are sports cars, we don't want smooth rides right? :-D Anybody used these and coulda ya tell me what you think of it, as well as any other makers of what i'm lookin for. Thanks a lot!
Old 10-21-2003, 03:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Those are the shocks I was mentioning. They are still drag shocks and I don't think there is enough adjustment to get them anywhere near what you need for turning corners. You are asking something to do "everything well" and that is not terribly realistic. You can make a road race car work ok at the dragstrip, but you will have a hard time lapping a road course on a drag suspension. Those shocks are very expensive and are likley not what you are looking for. I'd make several phone calls to Koni dealers and get the whole scoop before parting with that much cash.....

My thoughts....
Old 10-21-2003, 03:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

i know its virtually impossible to have a stiff suspension that is still comfortable.

Come ride with me. I can change your mind about that. (of course, comfort varies, but mine is not bad at all)
Old 10-21-2003, 06:10 PM
Teching In

Really? I'd love to have that. Maybe i ll just do like you do. What do you use for a stiff suspension thats still comfortable? Honestly I'm slightly more concerned with my cornering ability, becasue where the suspension may lacka little i could make up for in 11 inch wide tires. I'm not so much looking for a drag car, but an all round well performing vehcile. How fathomable is it to get an fbody good enough to run with...say a miata (for starters) as far as turning ability goes.
Old 10-22-2003, 09:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Maybe i ll just do like you do.
There is no "magic setup". It depends on what you want out of the car.

What do you use for a stiff suspension thats still comfortable?
Personally, Koni Double Adjustable shocks and lowering springs (among other things). It is not brutal like you may expect. I drive it everyday, even my wife doesn't complain.

Honestly I'm slightly more concerned with my cornering ability,
Are you building for a specific autocross class or track event? If so, check the rules before you go nuts. Also, take some time to attend drivers schools and autocrosses. One of the best handling improvements you can make is to "fix the nut behind the wheel".

becasue where the suspension may lacka little i could make up for in 11 inch wide tires
That is one school of thought. However, the gains from changing from 17x9 to 17x11 inch rims is less than you may think (but still a nice increase). You will need to consider alignment specs and roll stiffness to control camber during aggressive cornering. This usually means running "static" negative camber and an upgraded sway bar to keep body roll under control (and keep the tire flat on the pavement).

How fathomable is it to get an fbody good enough to run with...say a miata (for starters) as far as turning ability goes.
Pray for a big track with long straights......

It is tough to catch a Miata at an autocross, I'm not sure it's impossible, but it is real tough. That is a balanced car that is light weight, moderately powered and has an outstanding factory suspension under it. At my last autocross, I was faster than a few Miatas (then they quit getting lost on the course and missing cones.....), but not many and not for long. On a road course, you would have a better shot. F-bodies can be tuned to make great grip, but the amount of weight we are hauling around does us no favors in an autocross (it is tough to get all that weight to change direction). So, the answer is...."it depends".

My thoughts.

Old 10-23-2003, 02:50 PM
Teching In

Honeslty, i'm not really setting up for an autocross, or at least not planning on it, yet :-D. These driving schools you mentioned, can you go into a bit more detail about them? It sounds like something I would be interested in/could help me out. BTW, broke out of 14's last night at the strip, i now have a 13.93 @ 100.65 for my best. From whta i've heard, that isn't too bad. Thanks a lot for all your input, its very appreciatd. "alignment specs" "roll stiffness" and camber are all foreign terms to me. I told ya, I'm still a newbie.
Old 10-23-2003, 03:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

There is some info on alignment specs on my website that may help explain it better (website is in my signature). Start there and we'll work on your other questions after that.

Kevin
Old 10-23-2003, 09:29 PM
Teching In

Sweet, ill check it out. Really awesome to find someone who has some info on turning ability, rather than just raw RWHP and such

Quick Reply: Electronic Suspension??