Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Cars up and running today!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 02:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool Cars up and running today!!!!

Well, after a LOOOOONNNNGGGGG *** day of putting the head back on and getting everything buttoned back up, John (JD_Z28) and I finished up last night around midnight... (started at like 3pm )

Car runs and drives STRONG now... got rid of that humming noise I've always had and never could figure out what it was. I have a suspicion that it was some bolts that had vibrated loose out of my intake manifold which we put some locktite on and hopefully that won't be happening again.

my only worry now (and keep in mind I'm probably the most paranoid mother ****** you'll ever meet with my car... just because I've always had such bad luck with it lol) is that the passenger side valve train (the side we worked on) has a noticeably louder sewing machine sound coming from it...

I don't see how anything could be wrong, as we took time (and I mean overkill time) with ever little step. EVERYTHING was torqued to spec and in the proper sequences.

John seemed to think maybe since we cleaned the head up real well, and the parts were all in there fresh it needed a day or two of driving and things might "settle" and quite down a bit... and I could also just be a paranoid moron... who knows...

the other plus, was whatever was causing my "sputtering" at WOT seems to have gone away as well... who knows what was causing that... maybe the spark plugs that broke off in my head were semi-cracked already and causing a spark issue, maybe the bolts that vibrated out of my intake manifold was causing a vacuum leak, maybe it was a loose connection... maybe maybe maybe guess i'll never know...

in the end, it seems to be running well and hopefully it'll stay that way for a while...

Thanks to John for busting a few knuckles on my heap and Ryne for the phone help!!!
Old 03-21-2009, 03:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice dude. is this your DD?
Old 03-21-2009, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

We're going to need to re-torque the rocker bolts at TDC or I could just leave it the way it is since it's not my car.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:09 PM
Launching!

Good to hear. When you coming back to Cali?
Old 03-21-2009, 07:08 PM
10 Second Club

Are you guys headed out to 83rd tonight? I'm thinking of taking my '01 out there.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:39 PM
TECH Regular

Glad to hear its up and running well - Dont be paranoid - Just break it =)
Old 03-22-2009, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

sweet! nice to here that beast is up and running. John is a cool dude, he help me and others a lot when he was in So cal
Old 03-22-2009, 01:25 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_Z28
We're going to need to re-torque the rocker bolts at TDC or I could just leave it the way it is since it's not my car.
dont need to retorque the rocker bolts you guys used loctite right? you torque them to 22ft-lbs right? also when you torque them you dont need to do them at TDC, because these motors dont have adjustable valvetrains in stock form.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:06 AM
TECH Addict

glad it's up and running. i sometimes get paranoid and hear things too even on simple stuff, i'm sure i would go crazy after a project like that
Old 03-22-2009, 03:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

The noise went away whatever it was? Maybe everything just needed to get seated.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by hotpocket
nice dude. is this your DD?
it used to be... not so much anymore lol... It's fun for weekend driving and stuff like that... but to cruise it around in stop/go traffic during the week it kinda puts a damper on the driving mood...

the thing just doesn't want to cooperate when trying to do 5-10 mph it want's to GOOOOO!!!

Originally Posted by rzuff
Good to hear. When you coming back to Cali?
ummm... thinking maybe between June-August... just depends if we can find a nice place to rent till I'm approved on a house. Apparently I gotta have a job for at least a year before I can get financing on a house. So I gotta get a job also

ya know, all the hurdles

Originally Posted by myfast70
Are you guys headed out to 83rd tonight? I'm thinking of taking my '01 out there.
We went to the Pavillions last night... pretty good turn out, but most of the F-body guys were on that 3 hour cruise and went to Firebird Raceway last night... last week like 20 f-bodies showed up...

Originally Posted by 01SOMSS!
sweet! nice to here that beast is up and running. John is a cool dude, he help me and others a lot when he was in So cal
Dude, if it weren't for John, there's no way I would have attempted that job... I can handle it, if someone else is turning a wrench and something breaks, but If i'm doing it and something breaks I couldn't deal with it

as a matter of fact, when torquing those head bolts down to 85 ft./lbs... on the 2nd to last bolt, we thought it broke off in the head when the socket started turning freely and we heard a SNAP! After freaking out for a few seconds (what seemed like hours ) we looked closer and the socket split in half!!! Scared the **** out of us! That's a lot of torque on those bolts!

Originally Posted by Ryne @ CMS
dont need to retorque the rocker bolts you guys used loctite right? you torque them to 22ft-lbs right? also when you torque them you dont need to do them at TDC, because these motors dont have adjustable valvetrains in stock form.
yup and yup!

Ok good info! The noise seems to have gone away at this point, so my next fixer uppers are somehow fabricating some bracket for my radiator to stay held back, and replace my power steering hoses, since they got cut in half by my belts...

Originally Posted by hlaalu
glad it's up and running. i sometimes get paranoid and hear things too even on simple stuff, i'm sure i would go crazy after a project like that
dude you have no idea how bad I am... I'm sure Ryne and John can both chime in... I drive them both nuts with my paranoia

always 2nd guessing ****, wanting 2-3 days of easy putting around before "getting on it WOT" after any kind of engine work... i'm bad... you have no idea...
Old 03-22-2009, 05:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

what size cam you have?

lol
Old 03-22-2009, 07:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 00SSLS1
what size cam you have?

lol
I need a larger one
Old 03-23-2009, 01:39 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Soul TKR

ummm... thinking maybe between June-August... just depends if we can find a nice place to rent till I'm approved on a house. Apparently I gotta have a job for at least a year before I can get financing on a house. So I gotta get a job also

ya know, all the hurdles
You and John are going to the LA invasion with us in May right? Just say yes.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 02SS3098
You and John are going to the LA invasion with us in May right? Just say yes.
yes.... BUT

I have school in may

how long is it, and what's the dates?
Old 03-23-2009, 02:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
yes.... BUT

I have school in may

how long is it, and what's the dates?
Ask and ye shall receive

May 23-25th, or my brain just forgot the dates and I am now becoming more and more retarded.