PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM/tuning help - big mix of stock parts

Old 03-23-2009, 11:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default PCM/tuning help - big mix of stock parts

I have a 1999 Corvette engine (drive by wire) with a 1998 Camaro cam, an LS6 intake manifold and a set of 6.0L truck heads, which have larger valves (same size as the Z06.) I also have dished piston, giving me a CR of about 8.5:1. The shortblock has never been run, so I need to break it in and seat the rings somewhat quickly after startup.

Where the heck do I start as far as a PCM/tune is concerned? I need it to run well enough to break it in and not foul out my cats. I am not looking to squeeze every last HP out right now.

I know it's a bit of a cluster-f*ck, but is there an easy way out of this? Like getting a '99 Corvette PCM with some '98 Camaro programming? Or will the MAF, MAP and 02 sensors figure everything out by themselves? I did retain all four 02 sensors, but got rid of the EVAP and AIR systems.

-Dave
Old 03-23-2009, 11:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The wiring harness you used will determine what PCM you can use more than anything else.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:34 AM
TECH Addict

All of the sensors are from a 1999 Corvette. The car was in an accident, so the wiring harness will need to be repaired by someone. I was thinking about sending what's left of the harness to to one of the wiring companies (like Speartech) to get the harness setup for stand-alone use. It seems to me like that will be the easy part.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:52 PM
TECH Addict

TTT - what do I do? Is my problem really easy, really hard or just not interesting?
Old 03-25-2009, 05:46 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what you said, I'm assuming you are using the drive-by-wire (ETC)?? If so, I would use the 99 vette PCM with the stock tune and the vette MAF and injectors. That will make everything work together the easiest - you will have the ETC coverd in the tune and the fueling will be pretty close with the MAF and injectors that go with that tune. Make sense? The amount the fueling will be off due to the cam and heads will be minimal and it will be fine till you get it broken in and tuned (this can be verified by looking at your fuel trims once you get it running and warmed up). Hope that helps...
Old 03-25-2009, 01:11 PM
TECH Addict

Yes, all sensors and components are off of a 1999 Corvette unless otherwise stated, including the drive by wire throttle system and the gas pedal. The cam is from a '99 Camaro, the heads are from a 6.0L truck, and the pistons are dished. It also has LS2 coil packs and exhaust manifolds, and Camaro accessories. I think everything else is from the Corvette.

Will that Corvette tune safely run the engine long enough for break-in without screwing up my cats, O2 sensors, or anything else?
Old 03-25-2009, 01:20 PM
9 Second Club

Yes, as long as the injectors and MAF match the tune (i.e. from the vette) you will be fine. Where is the car located? I saw your sig and you may be nearby me... Do you have tuning/logging software?
Old 03-25-2009, 01:34 PM
TECH Addict

Cool, yea I still have the Corvette MAF and just had the vette injectors cleaned/serviced and flowmatched. I do not have any tuning/logging software.

I am building the car in Pittsburgh, but I live about 15 mins from the DC beltway in Northern VA. From time to time I get around in the Baltimore area - we have trucks go through there from Pittsburgh at least once a week. Where are you located?
Old 03-26-2009, 05:28 AM
9 Second Club

I'm in Crofton MD. I was going to say that I could bring my laptop by and log it for you when you start it up the first time - but if its in PA, can't do that. You will be fine with the parts you have though...

Search this Thread