LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Might be an idiot..... DRLs

Old 03-23-2009, 02:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Might be an idiot..... DRLs

So a while back there was a thread about pulling the drl fuse.. and i decided it was a good idea. its a pain in the *** hittin that switch everytime. So i pull the fusebox cover and.... no drl fuse... So i looked in my manual... no drl fuse. Are the GXPs diffrent from the Chevys? I would assume for the most part the Fusebox would be the same... Maybe im just an idiot. If someone could post a pick maybe i could see the issue. Or a gxp guy can slap me or something : P
Old 03-23-2009, 02:48 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LeadFootGXP
So a while back there was a thread about pulling the drl fuse.. and i decided it was a good idea. its a pain in the *** hittin that switch everytime. So i pull the fusebox cover and.... no drl fuse... So i looked in my manual... no drl fuse. Are the GXPs diffrent from the Chevys? I would assume for the most part the Fusebox would be the same... Maybe im just an idiot. If someone could post a pick maybe i could see the issue. Or a gxp guy can slap me or something : P

I think we are stuck with doing it everytime!
Old 03-23-2009, 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Why in god's name do you want to turn off your DRL's?????
Old 03-23-2009, 03:33 PM
TECH Regular

He probably has HID's.

That's why I want to do it.

I put HID's in and even with a switch on the power wire to turn them off, when it's day time and I have my HID's off, there's a super loud buzzing sound from under the glove box that only goes away when I turn on the HID switch.

So what I did was keep the switch and put electrical tape over my light sensor so this way the car thinks it's always dark and my HID switch is functional.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why do people always question this EVERY time someone mentions this? I don't want my lights on all the time personally, and that's all there is to it. Now with HID's that gives me an added reason not wanting them on all the time, but even before that I removed my DRL fuse within the first couple weeks of owning the car. If they were in the parking lights or if it was something cool like the LED strips that Audi's have it would be okay, but there's no need to have the headlights on all the time. If you can't see my car at 12pm in sunlight without DRL's then you shouldn't be driving IMO.

To answer the original question, I've only heard of this for the Chevy's I don't recall anyone stepping up and saying the GXP was the same too. And even with the Chevy's not all of them can disable them using this method, it's weird.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:50 PM
Teching In

Haha well im glad im not an idiot. Ill keep put a little more effort into finding a solution. If i figure something relitivly quick and easy ill let u guys know
Old 03-24-2009, 03:16 PM
TECH Resident

20SS07

Did any warning lights come on or anything like that? Do you just turn your **** now to turn on the lights or do you have a separte switch for you HID's?
Old 03-24-2009, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

No warning lights. Be aware, the DRL's are seperate from the automatic headlights. So your lights will still come on automatically when it's dark out if you have the DRL fuse pulled. But, be aware as I mentioned, for some reason pulling the fuse doesn't work in all cars. My car only had a fuse in the DRL2 location, as did BuffaloSS who pulled it too. I have heard of some cars with a fuse in DRL1 instead or in both locations. Don't know why it's different and why some cars it doesn't work pulling a fuse. It's not a year thing either because Buff has an '06 and I have an '07.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:44 PM
Staging Lane

when you pulled your DRL fuse, did you reset the ECU or anything like that afterwards? does that matter?
Old 03-24-2009, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nope. Just pulled it out and all was fine. It's been out nearly 2 years with no problems.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:31 PM
TECH Addict

FWIW...when I reinstalled my DRL fuse back into spot #2, when I had the regular halogens in the projectors, it blew. IDK why...but when I went to take it back out when I got my HIDs, it was burned out. Oh yeah, they projectors never worked as DRL's, either...
Old 03-25-2009, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Find a wiring diagram for the system. All they do is run the high beams in series (which is why they aren't as bright), so all you would need to do is find where they are connected together. Normal operation the high beams have their own grounds so they are bright. At least thats the system I'm familiar with. Dunno exactly how LS4 cars are set up. I can look for a diagram at school tomorrow if it helps.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

The DRL's are in the lows on these cars. Well the Imps and Montes anyway.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:48 AM
Staging Lane

just my update on this. I finally decided to try removing the fuses for these, since I got tired of switching the lights off every time I started the car. I have a fuse in both DRL1 and DRL2, which made me a little worried.

well I took them both out and the DRLs have been disabled now, and like mentioned, the automatic headlights when it gets dark still work as well.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Glad you got it working. That's weird though, cause some cars with both fuses this didn't work. And cars with just the DRL2 like mine had this not work. I'm at a loss for how different cars with different variations of fuse setups can act differently.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The only thing I can think of is, maybe the people that said it wouldnt work pulled the wrong fuse? Not to call anyone dumb, just sying its possible.

Search this Thread