Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

KNOCK.. not good.. need major advice PLEASE!!

Old 03-23-2009, 06:31 PM
DGraboyes

Thumbs down KNOCK.. not good.. need major advice PLEASE!! Video Added

:b ang::ban g:

car was running too low on oil.. probably since its been about 6000 miles since a change.. but it is synthetic..

anyway all of a sudden i get this hard tapping from the passenger side of the car.. i want to believe its a valve tap but id just be wishing there..

im going to guess its a connecting rod and or its bearing.. should i just rip out the engine.. and replace what needs it or is it more serious and i should be looking for a new longblock?

VIDEO OF KNOCK =[

and pics of the passenger side head and pistons
Attached Thumbnails KNOCK.. not good.. need major advice PLEASE!!-photo0046.jpg   KNOCK.. not good.. need major advice PLEASE!!-photo0047.jpg   KNOCK.. not good.. need major advice PLEASE!!-photo0048.jpg   KNOCK.. not good.. need major advice PLEASE!!-photo0049.jpg   KNOCK.. not good.. need major advice PLEASE!!-photo0060.jpg  

KNOCK.. not good.. need major advice PLEASE!!-photo0062.jpg   KNOCK.. not good.. need major advice PLEASE!!-photo0064.jpg  

Last edited by DGraboyes; 03-31-2009 at 04:09 PM. Reason: added video and pictures of the problem
Old 03-23-2009, 07:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How low on oil was it?
Old 03-23-2009, 10:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol I would try and do a little more diagnosing before pulling the engine. It could be several things.

Here is an example of what a spun bearing can sound like, this is my car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRSrUQudaP0
Old 03-24-2009, 12:05 PM
DGraboyes

Originally Posted by vsocks1
How low on oil was it?
unfortunately about 2-3 qts.. not sure how it did that so quickly

Originally Posted by keliente
lol I would try and do a little more diagnosing before pulling the engine. It could be several things.

Here is an example of what a spun bearing can sound like, this is my car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRSrUQudaP0

i actually found your youtube yesterday when i was doing research.. mines way louder than that.. i will get a video on here asap so people can diagnose a lil more accurately
Old 03-25-2009, 11:05 AM
DGraboyes

watch the video and lemme know what everyone thinks
Old 03-25-2009, 11:10 AM
TECH Resident

why would u drive 6k miles without checking or changing your oil? thats your own fault
Old 03-25-2009, 11:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If its louder than hers, which mine was to. Then you most likely have stacked or spun some bearings, or a lil of both like I did by running low on oil.

How does your oil pressure look? If its low then ya its time to start pulling the motor. You will know for sure when you drain the oil and have a look at the magnet on the plug .
Old 03-25-2009, 11:13 AM
DGraboyes

Originally Posted by dre2013
why would u drive 6k miles without checking or changing your oil? thats your own fault
listen i know what i did wrong.. i need some real advice so i can fix it now.. but thanks for pointing that out.. couldnt have thought of that without you
Old 03-25-2009, 11:15 AM
DGraboyes

Originally Posted by bjamick
If its louder than hers, which mine was to. Then you most likely have stacked or spun some bearings, or a lil of both like I did by running low on oil.

How does your oil pressure look? If its low then ya its time to start pulling the motor. You will know for sure when you drain the oil and have a look at the magnet on the plug .

the pressure is actually fine.. which is why im still a lil perplexed on what it is.. ill get out there and drain it asap and check to see if *crosses fingers* there is anything other than oil in it =[
Old 03-25-2009, 11:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Trust me you will know very quickly when you check the drain plug if its something serious or not. Mine had some nice chunks of metal all over it. definitely dont drive it anymore until you get some more oil in there and start changing it regular intervals. Dont skimp out on changing oil, its the cheapest easiest thing you can do.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:21 AM
DGraboyes

thanks... i have it parked and awaiting some major troubleshooting
Old 03-25-2009, 12:15 PM
Teching In

mine did the same thing in my ls2.. but the noise went away..
Old 03-25-2009, 02:08 PM
DGraboyes

Originally Posted by 400rwhphemi
mine did the same thing in my ls2.. but the noise went away..
it was just as loud and then just stopped?
Old 03-25-2009, 02:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I can say is this:

When you drain the oil, expect the absolute worst. That way, you'll be relieved when you find the problem.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:25 PM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

sounds like you wore out a bearing in there somewhere

from the video it sounds like it is very low deep sound , unlike a lifter,... rod bearings or crank bearings could be the culprit. start yanking buddy. pur some good rods and pistons while your in there
Old 03-25-2009, 08:08 PM
On The Tree

pull the valve covers first and see!!
Old 03-26-2009, 12:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sounds like a top end noise. But then again it sounds like a rod knock.

Not lecturing you at all, but i had a rod knock in my 97 GT, i used syn oil thought i should be good as gold too. I was 1 qt low when it happened. Ever since then, when i drive the car and i need gas, I ALWAYS check the oil no matter what.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ouch man, I hope it ends up being something simple. It sounds like it very well might be something in the valve train. I would pull the covers and take a peek, you might get lucky. If not, obviously it is going to be in the bottom end, which means motor needs to come on out. First though, grab a long screwdriver, and with the car running, put the handle to your ear and move the tip around on the engine accessories, valve covers, block, etc. until you can pinpoint the location of the sound.

It could be, and call me crazy, the bearing in your alternator. I have heard one go out and sound kind of goofy but not as distinct of a knock like yours. It is just too hard to tell on a video.

Not a bad idea to check the oil more often though. I try to check mine as often as every other tank, but I get lazy. What doesn't help is my low oil light is broken, and is always on and it isn't the sensor or anything, just something up with that input on the ecm I guess.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RoDan
Ouch man, I hope it ends up being something simple. It sounds like it very well might be something in the valve train. I would pull the covers and take a peek, you might get lucky. If not, obviously it is going to be in the bottom end, which means motor needs to come on out. First though, grab a long screwdriver, and with the car running, put the handle to your ear and move the tip around on the engine accessories, valve covers, block, etc. until you can pinpoint the location of the sound.

It could be, and call me crazy, the bearing in your alternator. I have heard one go out and sound kind of goofy but not as distinct of a knock like yours. It is just too hard to tell on a video.

Not a bad idea to check the oil more often though. I try to check mine as often as every other tank, but I get lazy. What doesn't help is my low oil light is broken, and is always on and it isn't the sensor or anything, just something up with that input on the ecm I guess.
I would never rely on my low oil light jsut check the oil everytime you get gas..

Last edited by TORCHD 02 TA; 03-26-2009 at 03:04 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Obviously I don't rely on it either since it has been broken for years, but I think it is nice to have if say you are on a long trip and somehow develop a bad oil leak you are unaware of. You won't notice oil puddle sin your driveway in that scenario. Though, that light isn't designed to come on until you are about 2 quarts low in the first place due to how the sensor works and its location. Admittedly, simply checking the oil when you get gas on a trip would negate any advantage of having the "low oil" light.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: KNOCK.. not good.. need major advice PLEASE!!