LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

water pump drive gear broke need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 11:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water pump drive gear broke need help

I've got a 97 z28 started hearing a little tapping sound and thought it was coming from the water pump. I took off the water and checked it out couldn't find anything wrong. I started inspecting everything else and when I I grabbed the drive gear it turned back and forth about an inch or so then it hit me like a ton of bricks. its about to get pricey. I've been laid off like a lot of other hard working people and jobs are few and far between around here. I've managed to scavenge and scrape to get everything I I need to put on a electric water pump except for the pump. My car has been sitting in my drive for 3 months while I try to gather money and parts. Its is impossible for me to part with the 150 needed for the pump. If anyone knows someone who has one laying around new or used doesn't matter just need a deal. Desperate times please help a fellow gear head thanks.

Last edited by 2badz28's; 03-24-2009 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 2badz28's
I've got a 97 z28 started hearing a little tapping sound and thought it was coming from the water pump took off the water and checked it out couldn't find anything wrong started inspecting everything else well when I I grabbed the drive gear it turned back and forth about an inch or so then it hit me like a ton of bricks its about to get pricey I've been laid off like a lot of other hard working people and jobs are few and far between around here I've managed to scavenge and scrape to get everything I I need to put on a electric water pump except for the pump my car has been sitting in my drive for 3 months while I try to gather money and parts its is impossible for me to part with the 150 needed for the pump if anyone knows someone who has one laying around new or used doesn't matter just need a deal desperate times please help a fellow gear head thanks
I feel for you man, wish I had one laying around for you. Bump!
Old 03-24-2009, 07:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a 97 z28 started hearing a little tapping sound and thought it was coming from the water pump took off the water and checked it out couldn't find anything wrong started inspecting everything else well when I I grabbed the drive gear it turned back and forth about an inch or so then it hit me like a ton of bricks its about to get pricey I've been laid off like a lot of other hard working people and jobs are few and far between around here I've managed to scavenge and scrape to get everything I I need to put on a electric water pump except for the pump my car has been sitting in my drive for 3 months while I try to gather money and parts its is impossible for me to part with the 150 needed for the pump if anyone knows someone who has one laying around new or used doesn't matter just need a deal desperate times please help a fellow gear head thanks
OMG!!!! I feel for you but where the hell did you learn how to type? Use a period once in a while.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:40 AM
TECH Addict

M i s s i s s i p p i

:d
Old 03-24-2009, 06:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i apologize if i dont totally understand your post... but what is it that you need? water pump housing or wp gear drive. i have either of the two i can donate if need be.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:44 PM
10 Second Club

Default need a electric water pump

The teeth on the drive gear are broke so bad that the gear doesn't touch the timing chain gear. I am gonna go with a electric water pump to keep from completely tearing everything down and costing more money. Trying to come out as cheap as possible. I'm on a very limited budget. I have a wife and 8 year old son to take care of. I do really appreciate you trying to help. Really means a lot to me and my family.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well either way you go, if you add an electric water pump you still have to pull the front cover to eliminate the gear drive. i have an extra camshaft timing gear and water pump drive gear that i will give you if you need it. the only other things you will need are a front cover gasket, water pump gaskets, and oil pan gasket. you will need those either way. let me know, either way, good luck and i feel your pain man
Old 03-24-2009, 10:06 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SLawson86
well either way you go, if you add an electric water pump you still have to pull the front cover to eliminate the gear drive.
That is SO wrong.

One of my 95's has the same issue - the drive gear behind the timing cover
is hosed (won't drive the water pump - gear or spline is stripped, I'm sure).

I simply removed the water pump, had the bearings/impeller pressed out,
installed the plug, put the water pump housing back on, then installed the
electric pump (Meziere) on the front of the housing. I've been driving it like
this (with the drive gear still in place) for over 10k miles, with no issues.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:16 PM
TECH Regular

The teeth on the drive gear are broke so bad that the gear doesn't touch the timing chain gear. I am gonna go with a electric water pump to keep from completely tearing everything down and costing more money. Trying to come out as cheap as possible. I'm on a very limited budget. I have a wife and 8 year old son to take care of. I do really appreciate you trying to help. Really means a lot to me and my family.
Not sure if this helps, but here's some photos (I had the exact same issue
with the convertible - still running it with the drive gear in place. I'll be
switching to an electric WP on the M6 T-Top soon):
http://picasaweb.google.com/calder.c...eat=directlink

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT piggyback onto the circuit as I show in one of
the photos ... you will pull an extra load on the circuit and burn out the
ignition switch (found on top of the steering column) ... ask me how I know

Wire up the circuitry exactly how it's shown in the last photo - be sure to
feed power from the positive feed supply on the passenger fender-well.
I'll repeat again - do not piggy back from another "used" circuit.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:37 PM
TECH Addict

i apologize if i dont totally understand your post... but what is it that you need? water pump housing or wp gear drive. i have either of the two i can donate if need be.
in what other automotive community would you find people trying to help each other out like this
GL with the repair and on the job hunt OP
Old 03-24-2009, 10:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

post above... i understand totally what its like to be in a hard place, if i can help anyone in any way i am willing to do it. i could only hope others would do the same if i were in that circumstance

Originally Posted by caldercay
That is SO wrong.

One of my 95's has the same issue - the drive gear behind the timing cover
is hosed (won't drive the water pump - gear or spline is stripped, I'm sure).

I simply removed the water pump, had the bearings/impeller pressed out,
installed the plug, put the water pump housing back on, then installed the
electric pump (Meziere) on the front of the housing. I've been driving it like
this (with the drive gear still in place) for over 10k miles, with no issues.
not saying you CANT do it, but i would go ahead and remove it if i were doing so. i am well aware of how to convert to an EWP, thus explaining why i have the spare parts laying around. not knocking your setup whatsoever, but IMO id rather not half *** it. just my .02
Old 03-24-2009, 10:50 PM
TECH Addict

^ditto bro, I'd also help if I could in any way. hats off to you man
Old 03-24-2009, 11:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

props to those offering up some parts

If the gear that is driven by timing gear is hosed....I would suspect the timing chain gear is also hosed...and metal would be inside the timing cover. This would require pulling timing cover (and all that goes with that), gears and replacing the WP drive gear held in with 2 Torx bolts....

"If" just the drive gear spline is striped and the coupler won't mate than you can do the EL WP and leave the drive gear in

here is a link for EL WP install if you head that direction

http://www.ws6.com/kelley-wp.htm
Old 03-25-2009, 04:47 PM
TECH Regular

not saying you CANT do it, but i would go ahead and remove it if i were doing so. i am well aware of how to convert to an EWP, thus explaining why i have the spare parts laying around. not knocking your setup whatsoever, but IMO id rather not half *** it. just my .02
One reason I didn't pull the timing cover and yank the drive gear is
because I'll be pulling the engine soon and rebuilding.

Also, because I replaced the water pump (thinking it was bad), and the car
still overheated, and I finally discover the drive gear wasnt turning the
water pump, then I assumed everything is fine behind the timing cover.
(I used a stethoscope to listen in - no funky noises).

And one final thought - I wanted to go EWP anyway ... plus, if I'm going to
yank the timing cover to *yank* the drive gear, then I might as well put in
a new one

Quick Reply: water pump drive gear broke need help