Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

MotorTrend Compares Camaro SS, Ford Mustang GT, and Dodge Challenger R/T

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 12:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up MotorTrend Compares Camaro SS, Ford Mustang GT, and Dodge Challenger R/T

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._gt/index.html

I think it's a great comparison especially seeing how the Mustang and Challenger were more expensive. Most of the comments left made me realize that the generally population knows nothing about cars except advertised numbers.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought it was funny that they used a GT with a track pack to barely keep up with the stock Camaro.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:12 PM
12 Second Club

Considering the power deficit, I'd say it holds on pretty well. Even with the stick-axled rear end, that thing can swing around the corners. Granted, I'd save the $1,400 that would go towards a track pack and put it into some dedicated aftermarket equipment.

"The Track Pack includes revised front and rear stabilizer bars, upper strut mounts, and rear, lower control arms from the '09 Shelby Mustang. Coil springs are the same as on the base GT, but the struts and shocks are cut from a clean sheet. Both the front and rear brake pads are upgraded, and the 3.73-cogged Traction-Lok differential is fitted with carbon fiber friction plates. As if that weren't enough, the engineering team managed to push through an even better tire package consisting of Pirelli P Zero summer performance tires, sized 255/40/19."
Old 03-24-2009, 04:24 PM
On The Tree

I actually enjoyed this comparision that seemed to be unbiased and truthful of what the testers experienced.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by enginjoe
I thought it was funny that they used a GT with a track pack to barely keep up with the stock Camaro.
FYI, the Track Pack is only a $425 option (the extra grand they keep quoting is for the 19" wheel package). Anyone buying a new GT for performance will likely be picking up that option. What's "funny", is that the GT with the Track Pack is right there with the Camaro in the corners, despite its "ancient" live axle. You guys should be rejoicing that the new Camaro is here, not constantly thinking up snide remarks to put down the Mustang. The lil ole Stang has handed the Challenger R/T its *** in every comparo I've read this week so far. I think its doing quite well despite Ford hampering it with a mere 315 hp.

But no doubts about it, the new SS is proving to be quite a great bang for the buck product. Took them a while to get it to the streets, but kudos to GM on building a great car. It definitely holds the ponycar crown right now.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:04 PM
12 Second Club

Oh man, I wish my car was paid off. I would buy the Camaro in a heart beat.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Nice comparo!! And i think the Challenger did well considering the weight to power but I didnt know the Hemi was a 410tq engine!!

Just a weird comment was that the Mustang was feeling as strong as SS with 7mph difference

Its nice too heard that the old live axle problems are over and the IRS looks very potent!

3 nice cars, rear of the new mustang sucks, really.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ThisBlood147
FYI, the Track Pack is only a $425 option (the extra grand they keep quoting is for the 19" wheel package). Anyone buying a new GT for performance will likely be picking up that option. What's "funny", is that the GT with the Track Pack is right there with the Camaro in the corners, despite its "ancient" live axle. You guys should be rejoicing that the new Camaro is here, not constantly thinking up snide remarks to put down the Mustang. The lil ole Stang has handed the Challenger R/T its *** in every comparo I've read this week so far. I think its doing quite well despite Ford hampering it with a mere 315 hp.

But no doubts about it, the new SS is proving to be quite a great bang for the buck product. Took them a while to get it to the streets, but kudos to GM on building a great car. It definitely holds the ponycar crown right now.
I was just pointing out that the mustang wasn't stock. We all know that it is way less expensive and if you put that money into mods, you will get better performance. I just think it's funny that a magazine, doing a test, throws a wrench into it like that. In fact, for the difference in price, you could beat the SS in the twisties easily and get real close in the 1/4.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I was just pointing out that the mustang wasn't stock. We all know that it is way less expensive and if you put that money into mods, you will get better performance. I just think it's funny that a magazine, doing a test, throws a wrench into it like that. In fact, for the difference in price, you could beat the SS in the twisties easily and get real close in the 1/4.
uhm how much do you think it cost to gain 7mph???? 1K$? good luck!!

And dont start the mod war, SS is the winner with very basic mods
Old 03-24-2009, 07:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
uhm how much do you think it cost to gain 7mph???? 1K$? good luck!!

And dont start the mod war, SS is the winner with very basic mods
Nit picker. The price diff isn't 1K either, it's more like 3K. You totally missed my point, which was that the mag used a mustang with extra performance options over a Camaro to test. They didn't hide it, but it would be nice to see a real comparison.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:14 PM
Teching In

Nit picker. The price diff isn't 1K either, it's more like 3K. You totally missed my point, which was that the mag used a mustang with extra performance options over a Camaro to test. They didn't hide it, but it would be nice to see a real comparison.
You really are crying about this?

It's no big deal, the Camaro won, end of story.

Mustang guys still like the Mustang, Camaro guys still like the Camaro, life goes on.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:30 PM
TECH Resident

I'm a chevy guy but I'm leaning toward the 2010 Mustang... Isn't a 400hp motor in the wings for the Mustang later this year?
Old 03-24-2009, 10:44 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ThisBlood147
What's "funny", is that the GT with the Track Pack is right there with the Camaro in the corners, despite its "ancient" live axle.
To Ford's credit they have done a good job with the live axle setup. I'm one of the few that would have like to see a live axle in the new Camaro. However, after test driving a 06 GTO a few years ago, I quickly learned to appreciate the IRS for daily driving in pot hole infested streets.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Squeaky192
You really are crying about this?

It's no big deal, the Camaro won, end of story.

Mustang guys still like the Mustang, Camaro guys still like the Camaro, life goes on.
Sailed right over your head too. Whatever.

I'm not brand loyal. I'd buy the Mustang if it had decent power and potential to make more. I'm waiting for a more powerful Camaro to carry all that extra weight if I ever buy one new. If that doesn't happen, I'll get a used one in a few years cheap and add some FI or just get a G8 if I want a new car. Meanwhile my 4 banger that traps 117 will do for a DD and the turbo '02 SS will be the cruiser...
Old 03-28-2009, 05:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice read, but why were they comparing the SS to the Charger R/T?? I would have thought they would have at least thrown an SRT8 into the mix.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Id love to drive the new mustang just to see how it handles
Old 03-28-2009, 07:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BRIAN98Z28
Nice read, but why were they comparing the SS to the Charger R/T?? I would have thought they would have at least thrown an SRT8 into the mix.
*Challenger R/T
Take a look at the prices.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea the SRT and SS would be closer for performance comparison purposes. But most of the mags are testing according to price range (as they often do). The GT, R/T, and SS all start inside of the same 2-3K price range.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:32 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1crazy01
Oh man, I wish my car was paid off. I would buy the Camaro in a heart beat.
x2!! but i figured what the hell you only live once. and bought a 2SS/RS anyways.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

How did the mustange out handle the camaro thats sad. It weighs a litte more but not that much and IRS.

With money tight the mustang should have another winner. I"m afraid GM may not got this right.....I mean look like the 4th gen vs mustang it stopped better,quick,faster, etc but still got blown away by the mustang in sales.

I think the challenger looks super sharp too.

But I hope we get to keep all 3 brings out more good for the consumer.

Quick Reply: MotorTrend Compares Camaro SS, Ford Mustang GT, and Dodge Challenger R/T