Sponsored by:

Nitrous + Traction Control

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 04:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Nitrous + Traction Control

Hey there guys,

I am in the process of installing a 100 shot wet nitrous system on my car and I seem to have run into a problem. I will also be installing the racelogic traction control system which will cut spark / fuel to the motor if it detects wheel spin.

I am worried about what could happen to the motor while spraying if the the traction control system begins to cut spark of fuel. Let me know what you guys think.... and here is a link to the racelogic site explaining how the system works:

http://www.racelogic.co.uk/?show=Tra...l-How_it_Works

thanks,
-John
Old 03-24-2009, 04:22 PM
FormerVendor

John,

I would not recommend using that unit in conjunction with nitrous if its cutting spark or fuel to any cylinders while spraying. Can I ask why you need a traction device such as that?

Nick
Old 03-24-2009, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if your tc system cuts fuel while spraying, you'll go lean.

in the case of this traction control system, they try to remove as much fuel as to avoid combustion during NA use in order to avoid going lean, so my guess is that it would grenade the motor.

Last edited by BobDoLe; 03-24-2009 at 07:15 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My thoughts would be that's a perfect combo for a grenade on wheels. I would be afraid with that system cutting fuel that you would have major issues. If it cuts spark then you would have extra raw fuel and nitrous in the exhaust, which doesn't seem like a good idea either.

But, I guess my biggest issue is, I'm looking at this from a "why" standpoint. I don't see the reasoning behind adding power to a car that can't put the power to the ground. The only thing I can see is that if you wanted to spray a 100 hp shot, but your car couldn't hold it off the line would be a progressive controller....which is kind of a traction control device with nitrous. But basically, if you need traction control to minimize wheel spin, then spraying on top of that isn't going to really get you anywhere any faster...and may, in fact, cause that car to be DRT (dead right there).

Personally, I think you'd be a lot better off working on suspension and tire, etc to make the car hold the power.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:48 PM
Staging Lane

thanks for your input guys.

The car is a 93 rx7 with an Ls1/T56 swap. Traction has proven to be a bit of an issue with the car and the types of driving I want to do. the car is a street car that I will be driving regularly. I will also be doing some drag racing, some road course, and some autocross.

I like this unit because it also comes with an adjustable wheel spin (example... you can adjust from 10% wheel spin to 20%), it has an integrated two step, and a full throttle shift (temporarily cuts spark for a fraction of a second so you don't have to take your foot of the gas when shifting).

I also plan on using a window switch for the nitrous... don't know if that will change things
Old 03-24-2009, 05:15 PM
10 Second Club

you are pissing your money away......
Old 03-24-2009, 06:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SPRAYIN96TA
you are pissing your money away......
thanks for the help
Old 03-24-2009, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my car has a factory traction control system. when i spray, i simply flip the switch and turn it off. if you need it, get it, but make sure you can shut it off when you spray.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by thumpstick
Hey there guys,

I am in the process of installing a 100 shot wet nitrous system on my car and I seem to have run into a problem. I will also be installing the racelogic traction control system which will cut spark / fuel to the motor if it detects wheel spin.

I am worried about what could happen to the motor while spraying if the the traction control system begins to cut spark of fuel. Let me know what you guys think.... and here is a link to the racelogic site explaining how the system works:

http://www.racelogic.co.uk/?show=Tra...l-How_it_Works

thanks,
-John
Here's what happened when my car cut the fuel when I hit the limiter, while spraying.

Robert
Old 03-24-2009, 07:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by thumpstick
thanks for your input guys.

The car is a 93 rx7 with an Ls1/T56 swap. Traction has proven to be a bit of an issue with the car and the types of driving I want to do. the car is a street car that I will be driving regularly. I will also be doing some drag racing, some road course, and some autocross.

I like this unit because it also comes with an adjustable wheel spin (example... you can adjust from 10% wheel spin to 20%), it has an integrated two step, and a full throttle shift (temporarily cuts spark for a fraction of a second so you don't have to take your foot of the gas when shifting).

I also plan on using a window switch for the nitrous... don't know if that will change things
What tires and sus is that thing running? And how much power are you making with it already.

If your spraying the car its not going to be on a autocross track, buy a set of slicks
Old 03-24-2009, 08:04 PM
Staging Lane

I don't plan to use the nitrous in an autocross or road course race. I want to use it for the drag strip and perhaps a little interstate fun. The traction control can be shut off which is good considering the picture above.

I would like to be able to use the traction control at the drag strip... I'm just worried that when I spray the tires might slip a little which could lead to the fuel cut.

thanks again for the input guys
-John
Old 03-24-2009, 08:06 PM
Staging Lane

the motor is stock... only putting down 315hp and 326 tq and I will be running a decent street tire on a 12.5 in back wheel.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:33 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

John,
I think you would be much better off with one of our 200 dollar progressive controllers.
WE carry one from NOS that is really easy to use. It has a built in windowswitch, tps actvation and time base progressive. So not only will it provide the safety you need it will also solve your traction issue since you can gradually bring the nitrous in.
Let m eknow if I can offer any advice.
Dave

Quick Reply: Nitrous + Traction Control