Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Paint code question

Old 03-25-2009, 09:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint code question

Although not an LSX, a Pontiac none the less......I just bought an 86 Grand Prix 2+2 Aerocoupe and need to do some touch up paint. Under the hood, etc. Does anyone know the paint code for this car. It is silver and grey.

thanks Al
Old 03-25-2009, 10:42 AM
On The Tree

You'lll find the paint code in one of a few places on G.M. Look in the glovebox or center console, there should be a RPO tag. A square sticker with alot of letters and #s. You want to look for a WA # ex.( WA8555) =black. It's usually one the last codes on the decal. May even say bc/cc WA **** for bascoat/clearcoat. Being a two tone ( if done factory) it will state 2 codes for paint usually saying pri. and sec. for primary color and secondary color.
Other spots to look for the decal are the inside door edges where nmanufaturer decals are, the trunk ( spare tire cover) and under hood. I believe yours will be in the glovebox, door jamb, or center console. Post a pic when you find it and I can helpp you decipher.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:16 PM
Teching In

found the RPO codes. at the end it says WA- L8535 U8535
Old 03-25-2009, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Al Mc
found the RPO codes. at the end it says WA- L8535 U8535
You found them. Damn I'm a good instructor. It shows your codes as being the same " U" for upper and "L" for lower as in two tone. Usually only have an upper and lower designation if it is a two tone. But the codes are identical unless you misposted them. WA 8535 designates SILVER. So the car was originally silver with the gray added on after the fact. To match the Grey go to a DuPont or PPG paint store and get them to take a picture of the paint on your car now and they can match it. It's a special camera that matches what it sees with a library of thousands of greys to find the closest one.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:07 PM
Teching In

Actually, was in a packet attached to the trunk lid with the jacking instructions???? thanks much for your help. does it by any chance indicate what shade of silver.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Paint code question