Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power to manual windows

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 11:43 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power to manual windows

Looking for any information to swap the power windows in a trans am to the manuall cranks from a v6? I'm building a drag car and the passenger side goes real slow and both switch housings are broke
Old 03-25-2009, 12:38 PM
On The Tree

rivets hold the motor in place. drill the rivets out, and replace it with the manual crank. these require bigger than normal rivets to replace. the most common rivet tool is the "big daddy". if you dont have a rivet gun then get your manual cranks installed and drive to a body shop and they will quickly rivet it in for ya for a couple bucks. other than than that thats about it.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:01 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not worth the effort. Nearly zero weight savings. Replace the motors, its easy.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:58 PM
Launching!

Really, I would've thought the manual crank bracket would be about the same as the power bracket less the motor plus wiring.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:59 AM
12 Second Club

hell I want to do it just because im tired of replacing motors....

but what about when you get a cage? i can easily reach it now without one, but having a door bar would probably be a PITA?

Chad
Old 03-26-2009, 07:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nimitz87
hell I want to do it just because im tired of replacing motors....

but what about when you get a cage? i can easily reach it now without one, but having a door bar would probably be a PITA?

Chad
talk to kyle - he replaced both of my window motors and it wasnt that expensive at all.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:25 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
talk to kyle - he replaced both of my window motors and it wasnt that expensive at all.
not expensive, just getting old lol...I've done both now.

I'll probably never change them though they are convenient when they do work.

Chad
Old 03-26-2009, 12:18 PM
8 Second Club

The people that say the weight is not any diffrent are not including all the wireing . They are 10 lbs of wires and if you are going for a drag car, are removing the fuse panel ? if so get the mirrors and door looks . All the wire i pulled the last time was 15lbs. Not counting how much junk is gone. I did mine last year and i did not use a rivet gun. i used bolts with washers ans lock nuts. easy as pie the only issue with a trans is door panels. I still dont have any, the speakers are in the way of the cranks. Also all the hools in the door are already there. the first took 1 to 1 1/2 hours the second 1/2 . But i have changed a few motors and had all the rivets drilled. as for the wiring need the dash out but if it is a drag car it will be out for somthing else. wait untell then because that wire i swear makes loops inside the car . it is a bitch to remove all of it. i will try to find the pic of all the wire i took out when i pulled the windows
Old 03-26-2009, 02:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The window motors are undersized and therefore have a noticeable lifespan.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:20 PM
Launching!

That is my plans, im an running a 1/8" plastic skin with just the manual lock rods and my drivers mirror housing is broke so they are getting replace with manuals.

I already have the dash out to get the a/c box out and half of the now useless wires are removed.

Im going to go ahead and make a topic in the Wanted section looking for some.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:40 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by 913MOTOR
That is my plans, im an running a 1/8" plastic skin with just the manual lock rods and my drivers mirror housing is broke so they are getting replace with manuals.

I already have the dash out to get the a/c box out and half of the now useless wires are removed.

Im going to go ahead and make a topic in the Wanted section looking for some.
Looks like yu are on your way when you start pulling the wires they go back and forth from one to the other. and they are like 12gauge. I will tell you one thing to keep that is the power trunk if yu plan on going with a chute some day you will be glad you did after a run push the button throw it in the back if not you cant get the key in and hard to turn because it is behind the chute and it is lie a 16 gauge are smaller ,also look at the rear window defroster big wires like 12 or so gauge lots of that as well. another thing you may want to look at is take the lock rods out so the only way you can lock the car is from outside and with the key. It sucks to lock your keys in the car at the track plus a few ounces for the rod. For a drag only car cut the lock wheel teeth off you colume you can turn the wheel without puting the key in the run postion. these are stuff i have found to make a car more freindly at the track.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whats really odd is my 6 cyl Firebird with manual roll ups can be rolled up or down by a one year old they are so smooth. And thats with 130k on it.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:57 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 913MOTOR
Looking for any information to swap the power windows in a trans am to the manuall cranks from a v6? I'm building a drag car and the passenger side goes real slow and both switch housings are broke
Don't do it...weight savings is VERY minimal...I weighed the two regulators and other parts together a long time ago. It sure is nice to be strapped down in the lanes and just push a couple of buttons to have some fresh air when needed! Good luck either way. Dave
Old 03-26-2009, 10:51 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by RUQWIKR
Don't do it...weight savings is VERY minimal...I weighed the two regulators and other parts together a long time ago. It sure is nice to be strapped down in the lanes and just push a couple of buttons to have some fresh air when needed! Good luck either way. Dave
Sure is a bitch for the motor to fail and the window will go down but not up. art an NMCA race and break the regulator trying to force it up. Dont think it cant happen that was the main reson i went to manuals. I had a power pass and man driver for 2 years. Then ditched the powers all together.