Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car won't start?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 08:48 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Car won't start?

So yesterday i go out and my car won't start i keep trying and after maybe 5 min then it start and runs fine a little later that day it does the same thing. All day today it runs and starts fine then i come out of eating and my car won't start i sit there for a hour trying it every few minutes and nothing. I have 2 keys and neither of them will start the car. I've tried locking it and unlocking then starting it ive tried every little gay thing i can think of to get it to start and nothing. So my car is now sitting in a place that i don't really want it to sit over night. Can someone please help me get my car fixed. If it matters it's a 2000 trans am that's stock. thanks jamescb77
Old 10-21-2003, 09:15 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Car won't ******* start?

More details . . . does it even crank the motor over? And if so, are there any combustion sounds at all when it doesn't start? There are only three things an engine needs to run: spark, fuel, and compression. You are lacking one of those things, either directly or indirectly.
Old 10-21-2003, 09:16 PM
Teching In

the engine does absolutely nothing the starter doesn't work absolutely nothing happens but all the accesories such as radio windows etc. work please help
Old 10-21-2003, 09:33 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

WOW that does sound like the security system is jerking ya around; although sometimes a battery that is very low will have enough power to operate the radio but not crank the engine. In this case you would still get a loud click when you turn the key as the starter solenoid pulls in. How high is the battery voltage? Have you re-torqued the battery cable connectors? Have you tried a jump start from another vehicle? If the battery is good but you don't even get the solenoid click, I'd say disable the security system, sounds like it's malfunctioning. I don't know how to do that other than have the vehicle towed to a dealership. Maybe someone else will chime in here with a way to disable the security system . . .
Old 10-21-2003, 09:43 PM
Teching In

yea the battery is reading like 12 volts and so i would think that would be plenty as it only reads like 13 when running i don't even get a solenoid click or anything. If someone knows how to bypass this **** and could tell me i would really apreciate it as this is very frustrating and i want to drive my baby right now. thnak sjamescb77
Old 10-21-2003, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If its a stick push start it.
Old 10-21-2003, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do a search. The info is out there, just not readily found. (for obvious reasons)
Old 10-21-2003, 11:14 PM
Teching In

ive searched and haven't really found anything and yea push starting it would be great but by god i can't puch start this damn thing everywhere i go.i mean im a big guy but im not the hulk. please someone help me
Old 10-21-2003, 11:15 PM
TECH Addict

Check the ignition fuse.
Old 10-21-2003, 11:18 PM
Teching In

ive checked all the fuses is there a possibility that the resistor on the keys got messed up in my pocket
Old 10-21-2003, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I found info here and on LS1.com You can phuk some stuff up if you start cutting the wrong wires. I don't remember which ones to cut, otherwise I would tell you.
Old 10-21-2003, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...hreadid=404033

Everything you need to know is right there. Found it in 2 minutes on LS1.com
Old 10-21-2003, 11:31 PM
wrencher

If anything it is common for the ignition lock cylinder wiring to the pass key to break.

This happens right by cylinder inside column.

You have to have an ohm meter disconnect pass-key connector at base of coulmn & see if you get the carrect (your key) reading.

If not you can by-pass pass-key (do search tons of posts)w/a resistor.

The normal stuff batt/starter/cables are ok?

Old 10-21-2003, 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

If it is a stick you can also check your clutch pedal switch, put the car in neutral and pull the ebrake and make sure the switch is getting fully depressed, do it by hand and try to start it. Then check power across it when depressed. I just said push start it cuz you siad it was where you didnt want it to be over night.
Old 10-22-2003, 12:30 AM
Teching In

ok sounds great i will try and bypass the vats in the morining and see if that helps keep my fingers crossed
Old 10-22-2003, 12:32 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

james i will also go with the security system. wrencher is right about the resistor. if you check the resistence of the chip in the key it will fall into 15 different specs that GM uses. then if you insert the key in the ignition you should also get the same reading at the 2-way connector at the bottom of the steering coloum. if you dont that the cylinder is screwed. this cose like 60-100 bucks at the dealer. if you what to just by-pass it, just go to radio shack and get a resistor that will work. sometimes you will need to add a couple up to get the resistince you what. then when you get the correct one just slice it into the connector at the bottom of the coloum. also make sure that you do not mess with the air bag connector. it looks simular but with a yellow connector.
Old 10-22-2003, 10:11 AM
Teching In

it's alive yes thank you everyone that joined in to help me out i really appreciate it.
Old 10-22-2003, 10:34 AM
TECH Resident

If its a stick push start it.
hahaha

If it is a security issue, how the hell is the car going to start with no power to the ignition, etc...

Anyway, this used to happen on my old car, (vette). I used rubbing alcohol on a cotton swab to clean the contact in the key hole (and the keys). It solved my problem, I cleaned it periodically.

Good luck.

Tommy
Old 10-22-2003, 03:40 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

So you bypassed VATS to get it going?