Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

my vert is noisy and rides like a hooptie

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 05:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default my vert is noisy and rides like a hooptie

ok guys and girls i need some ideas on how to make my car ride and handle better and also quiet down the interior road noise.last year i kinda went alittle crazy with weight reduction i also ended up removing the front sway bar putting drag shocks out rear and sfcs i did all kind of stuff to make it get of the line better and 60' well i still wanna go fast but i want it to ride good what do u guys suggest.
i was thinking removing my drag shocks and putting blistin slp shocks and strano springs with the strano front hollow bar and maybe some dynomat or some spay on insulation what do u guys think i will still be going out to the track so i want to keep weight in mind.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I felt kind of the same way. I did Koni's, BMR springs, strano sways and dynamat and am much happier now. Car handles EXCELLENT now too

The bilsteins dont have enough dampening to control the Strano springs (or any lowering spring). If you get Bilstein's and want to have a nice ride youre going to have to keep stock springs. Just pony up for the Koni's while theyre on sale
Old 03-25-2009, 06:55 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 02NBMWS6
I felt kind of the same way. I did Koni's, BMR springs, strano sways and dynamat and am much happier now. Car handles EXCELLENT now too

The bilsteins dont have enough dampening to control the Strano springs (or any lowering spring). If you get Bilstein's and want to have a nice ride youre going to have to keep stock springs. Just pony up for the Koni's while theyre on sale
you mean bend over for the Koni's before its bending over and a kick in the *****
Old 03-25-2009, 07:18 PM
On The Tree

just use the vett....
Old 03-25-2009, 07:48 PM
TECH Addict

i've had a 96 camaro vert and it's going to be noisy no matter what. even my mom's sl500 with the hardtop vert type deal is noisy for a luxury car... the sound comes up where the joints are. i think it's just how it is.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:52 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by hlaalu
i've had a 96 camaro vert and it's going to be noisy no matter what. even my mom's sl500 with the hardtop vert type deal is noisy for a luxury car... the sound comes up where the joints are. i think it's just how it is.
ok what if i dynomat all the joints only it might help a little while keeping weight down and staying on a budget
Old 03-26-2009, 11:56 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 02NBMWS6

what spring and shock do u recommend thats not to expensive i heard u can get the bilsteins revalved to handle the aftermarket springs better
Old 03-26-2009, 12:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Dynomat is heavy. If you want to just get rid of road noise try using Frost King - it is probably one of the cheapest lightest products used to dampen road noise. Self adhesive foam with a thin metal backing - foam is 1/8" thick. 15^2 ft weighs about 2-3 lbs. Doesn't deaden as good as Dynamat or most mass-based deadeners thicker than 40 mil, but it is very light. You may also be able to shove fiberglass or pillow stuffing into any crevices - that's pretty lightweight insulation.

As far as getting Bilstein's revalved that costs a good amount of money (if you have stock ride height ones on your ride) but it is slightly cheaper than buying new ones. Places already sell Bilsteins that have been revalved for lowering springs (they have been revalved for SLP.. so they're usually called SLP Bilstein "Level 2" or something similar). There is a difference between Bilstein HD shocks and SLP Bilstein shocks - and that is the valving... Normal Bilsteins are meant for stock springs and the SLP ones are meant for Eibach or similar springs.

Last edited by ZexGX; 03-26-2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

IMO, if you get Bilsteins for the rear get the sport shocks for the 3rd gen C/F .
http://www.eshocks.com/bil_Ind.asp?V...ubChar=Q&Spec=
Up front the SLP bilsteins will work good.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:24 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by droptopT/A
ok what if i dynomat all the joints only it might help a little while keeping weight down and staying on a budget
you could try that if you are going to dynomat anyways.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by droptopT/A
my vert is noisy and rides like a hooptie
if it makes you feel any better my t top car does to
Old 03-27-2009, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

mine doesnt j.k u can here small things like when u have the window half ways it sounds nasty or when u drive on rail road tracks ugh!!! hahahaha and i have full suspention
Old 03-27-2009, 02:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Thepheroe
mine doesnt j.k u can here small things like when u have the window half ways it sounds nasty or when u drive on rail road tracks ugh!!! hahahaha and i have full suspention
lol how often do you drive on rail road tracks?
Old 03-27-2009, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea i think my six puck clutch and my body mounted ta is what is most annoying, and i guess it does not help that my car is on bigs and littles and slammed on the ground( and my drag radials rub with every bump)
Old 03-27-2009, 03:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by hlaalu
lol how often do you drive on rail road tracks?
hardly ever !!!!!

Quick Reply: my vert is noisy and rides like a hooptie