General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

heater/blower problem, help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 08:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heater/blower problem, help!

98 Camaro, the hot/cold controls are giving me trouble. fan works fine, but when I switch vent/floor/defrost either it won't switch between or it will take its sweet time. Also if I have it set to floor, air is coming out vent/defrost too.
If I set the fan on high and vent, when I step on the gas all the air comes out the floor instead of vent, then when I let off the gas blower changes back to vent again. This is the weirdest thing ever seen in a car. Could it be my heater/AC controls, or maybe whatever moving flaps the controls work to switch from floor to vent? The controls must send a signal to a solenoid or something to physically move something in the vent system that redirects the air? I don't want to spend money troubleshooting where I'm not sure the cause. HELP!
Old 03-25-2009, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Start with the electronic parts first. I would go to a junk yard or eBay & try to find a used heater & AC controller (just to troubleshoot). When the controllers go bad, they "default" to the defrost position as a safety feature.

If a new controller doesn't do it, start digging into the vacuums that move the vents.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:26 PM
TECH Addict

You either have a vacuum leak in the AC control system(typicaly at the elbow by the PCM).

Or, your AC controls are jacked.

I would say the first.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by samson_420
You either have a vacuum leak in the AC control system(typicaly at the elbow by the PCM).

Or, your AC controls are jacked.

I would say the first.
OK I'll take a look at that this weekend.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:01 PM
Teching In

Didn't find anything obvious in AC system, I'm gonna get a cheap HVAC control and see what that does. I'll keep y'all posted...