LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

ORY vs Catted Y

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 08:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ORY vs Catted Y

What difference in power is there between LTs with an ORY compared to the same LTs with a single high flow catted y and the same setup with a dual high flow catted y? Is it noticeable?
Old 03-26-2009, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My question to you would be: If you don't have to run a cat, why would you?
Old 03-26-2009, 01:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 94Z28rag
My question to you would be: If you don't have to run a cat, why would you?
Agreed.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:37 PM
TECH Addict

to save the Ozone
Old 03-26-2009, 01:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by djjab57
to save the Ozone

That doesn't exactly answer the question, does it?
Old 03-26-2009, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by djjab57
to save the Ozone
no no the a/c kills the ozone, no cat causes GLOBAL WARMING!!! OOOOOOHHH AAAHHHHH SCARY lol...
Old 03-26-2009, 02:07 PM
Launching!

I live in MD and we have emissions every 2 years. i have ORY and this weekend i will have all emissions stuff tuned out of the computer and then when emissions role around i will just buy a catted y-pipe for the visual inspection and then as soon as it passes emissions i will put the ORY back on. if u dont have to worry bout emissions, just do ORY. as for power differences the ORY will give you more power, but i dont know exact differences in power though. but hope that helps a little.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:51 PM
On The Tree

Just weighing my options. I know I have asked a few header questions in the past and at one point had PS mid tubes on order. Well I decided to wait and get some LTs instead, still waiting. Right now I am in TX and have no emissions testing, but I am in the military and will be moving at least 2 more times in the next 3 years and don't know if I will end up somewhere with emissions testing. I had all the DTC codes tuned out already by pcmforless in preparation for the LTs. I was thinking about doing the ORY for now and if I end up somewhere that runs a visual and/or sniffer then get some cats welded in the ory. I just wanted to know how much power I would lose running high flow cats vs the ory and if there was any significant difference in power between running one high flow cat after the Y or two high flow cats before the why. I know stock I have 2 convertors as it stands but I don't know how high flows compare to that and if 2 would be overkill and not net me any gains vs a single.

At the very most in the distant future I would be looking at a H/C, maybe, but it is never going to be a track car so I'm not going to be looking for astronomical numbers. So I am guess I am asking if a mild H/C car would max out on the flow of a single high flow cat to the point where I would see a benefit in running 2 vs 1. Keeping in mind that I would be running an ORY unless I move like I said above.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Does your home of record require emissions testing?? If not than keep your car registered in your home state and register non resident military. If you do that you won't have to worry about where they move you. Thank you for your service.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:18 PM
On The Tree

Wow, didn't even think about that. I could just keep the car registered in TX since I changed my residency to here when I got here. As far as once I moved wouldn't I still have to get an inspection sticker based on what state I was running the car in. I don't think I would be able to travel back here once a year for a safety sticker. Any idea on how that works?
Old 03-26-2009, 08:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you can get away with no cats, then I'd do that. I have a catted y with two high flow cats and love the sound, but I had to do something for visual inspection in PA. The difference in power is probably negligible, a couple hp at most. If you do decide to put cats in, a single cat at the end of the y-pipe will not get hot enough to work effectively (although if you just need a cat for visual, then who cares if it works). The only problem with running cats is that they will be your lowest part of the exhaust.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im having such a hard time deciding what to do since I'm in NJ. Im due for inspection in 3 months... so i think im going to wait it out till then to decide. Ugh I hate emissions
Old 03-27-2009, 05:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ran a catted y-pipe with my LT's and they robbed 8 RWHP and shifted the max torque peak down about 1.5K RPM. What they really did was reduce the later half of the torque curve enough to make it look very ugly on the dyno. I will a graph later if I remember.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:32 AM
TECH Resident

I think the weight reduction of an offroad y versus emissions legal is reason enough to switch
Old 03-27-2009, 08:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

When I had GMMG I ran both an ORY and a Catted Y w/ a single cat after the Y. For one, the cat worked in terms of the visual inspection but did not pass the PA sniffer because it was too far down the exhaust system to heat up properly and expell the gases. In terms of power I did not dyno the car but no I felt no "seat of the pants" difference. I'm sure there would be a couple hp but nothing noticible.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:44 AM
Launching!

ok stupid ? what is an ory? i always thought the ypipe came off the headers and hooked into single exhaust pipe out to the muffler?
Old 03-28-2009, 10:31 AM
TECH Regular

ORY = Off road Y pipe, in other words has no Catcon installed what so ever just goes straight out the back, and as was discussed here usually frees up a few HP and won't pass Emissions test.

Quick Reply: ORY vs Catted Y