PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DiabloSport Hand-Held Tuner Question

Old 03-26-2009, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default DiabloSport Hand-Held Tuner Question

First of all, this is probably a dumb question to ask people who know tuning.

I am very mechanically inclined and know enough about getting horepower, but tuning is above my horizon right now. You gotta start somewhere.

Anyways, I have a 2000 Firehawk M6. Awhile back, I ordered SLP's 400HP PerformancePac, which is basically an intake make-over, hgher ratio rockers, full exhaust, & a pre-programmed DiabloSport tune. Well, not having a lift, I physically couldn't put the headers on feasibly, so I took it to a shop for the exhaust and tune.

I guess my question is this:
What is this pre-programmed "tune" really doing for me? A ton of people on this forum (and people I know) do all this intake & exhaust work without a tune.
Am I really getting what I paid for?

And again, I'm sorry if this is a stupid question. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:42 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NonGoggleGuy
First of all, this is probably a dumb question to ask people who know tuning.

I am very mechanically inclined and know enough about getting horepower, but tuning is above my horizon right now. You gotta start somewhere.

Anyways, I have a 2000 Firehawk M6. Awhile back, I ordered SLP's 400HP PerformancePac, which is basically an intake make-over, hgher ratio rockers, full exhaust, & a pre-programmed DiabloSport tune. Well, not having a lift, I physically couldn't put the headers on feasibly, so I took it to a shop for the exhaust and tune.

I guess my question is this:
What is this pre-programmed "tune" really doing for me? A ton of people on this forum (and people I know) do all this intake & exhaust work without a tune.
Am I really getting what I paid for?

And again, I'm sorry if this is a stupid question. Thanks in advance.
SLP installs these kits on a few cars and develops safe, reliable calibrations for the kits, which allow you to plug and play without the need for custom tuning when you get the kit installed.

While people may make these changes without tuning for them, they are missing out on quite a bit of power by not having the tune optimized for the aftermarket parts.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike@Diablosport
SLP installs these kits on a few cars and develops safe, reliable calibrations for the kits, which allow you to plug and play without the need for custom tuning when you get the kit installed.

While people may make these changes without tuning for them, they are missing out on quite a bit of power by not having the tune optimized for the aftermarket parts.
Well, what parameters has my hand-held changed? Also, (again, I'm new to tuning), can I read/clear DTCs with said handheld?

I believe it's part #SLP7196....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DiabloSport Hand-Held Tuner Question