Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

(best) carb intake elbows

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default (best) carb intake elbows

so i have been running a vic jr carb intake with the edlebrocks ultra low profile elbow for a while,
my question here is, would i benefit going to a different elbow or accufab carb style tb.
i have done a lot of serching on here and many people say the ultra low pro elbow hurts hp but nobody has any test or results to prove it

i did find this from on this elbow
Originally Posted by jasonsny
The divider is in the elbow to appropriate the air in the plenum. These were engineered using computational fluid dynamics to look at airflow distribution. Air will follow the path of least resistance and without the divider the air will push to the back of the elbow and back of the intake.

Is it restrictive? Sure, kind of. This elbow will flow less air than the taller versions; we engineered it to flow as much air as possible while providing hood clearance - flow is 860cfm @ 20.5" h2o . Our taller versions flow more air; #3848 (950 cfm) and 3849 (1,050 cfm) with a 90mm throttle body.

Ultimately if you are pressurizing the intake manifold, your air distribution shouldn't be an issue. And again, the divider actually helps the airflow and distribution.

If you can get away with a taller version (hood change) than you will be able to flow more air and make more power with the mid or tall versions.
so the qustion is is what is 860 cfm worth horsepower wise??

guys chime in im trying to decide if i should get a diffent elbow, if it would be worth the cost of a new hood, elbow and etc..
Old 03-26-2009, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

anybody have ideas??? umm maybe ill post this in advanced tech
Old 03-26-2009, 04:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That high flow one is super tall. I wonder what kind of hood you need to fit that badboy?

What kind of setup are you running? Can it take advantage of the extra flow?
Old 03-26-2009, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

most bolt on's, longtubes and ms4,

Quick Reply: (best) carb intake elbows