LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Cutting out at idle and all the time basically

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 08:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cutting out at idle and all the time basically

alright well the other day i was driving home and i had been having problems with my car cutting out, but mostly just when i was WOT.... i also had problems with extended cranking to start, a very rich fuel smell coming from the exhaust, black smoke at WOT, and all sorts of signs that made me think it would be the opti.... so i ended up replacing the opti, and thankfully i did anyway because one of the rotor screws had backed out and thrashed a bunch of stuff inside the cap.... so i bought another opti from thepartsladi, threw it all back together and it still did the cutting out, but now its at idle a lot worse than previously.... like it wants to kill itself and it chokes on its face sometimes just at idle, but especially in drive (i didnt drive it far, just from my neighbor's garage to my house)... so today we figured it has to be something involving spark still, so we took the ICM and coil off and tested both of those. the icm tested fine and the coil read a lower than usual amount of ohms.... so went and replaced it, put it back together again and still cuts out, just not quite as bad....
any ideas? the only thing i am thinking it could be now is maybe fouled plugs but i dunno.... i never pulled a plug out today because ive had a really bad week and its been so busy because my mom got put in the hospital, so i have only had a little amount of time to work on it
but if anyone has any ideas of what to check next let me know.... i dont need to be throwing all kinds of money at the car that i dont have in the first place....
thanks guys, and sorry for the long post
Old 03-26-2009, 09:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you should pull the plugs. check the easy things first. scanners help a lot too to see what your FTs are at. if its cutting out at idle check the IAC or make sure all your wires are good. just do the easy visual checks
Old 03-26-2009, 11:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lol i dunno if you would consider it easy to pull all the plugs and check but yeah i def. need to do that... i ran freescan with my laptop and tried resetting the IAC but it didnt seem like it did anything....
another question that i wasnt sure about is... will fouled plugs make the wires go bad? i know its prob. a noob question but it just made me wonder if i did have fouled plugs if i would have to replace the wires too....
one other thing that made me kinda puzzled was that i thought when i was running freescan was that my o2 sensors were showing different numbers... it looked like one was at like 0.1xx and the other was around 0.8xx or 0.9xx.... i may be wrong but i was just looking at that stuff and it made me wonder... i can get some of those numbers off of freescan and put them up if it would help any... but i know my rpms and spark advance were both bouncing pretty badly when my car would about choke on itself and then jump up to like 1100 rpms...
Old 03-26-2009, 11:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

a fouled plug has no effect on a wire

the o2's will constantly be sweeping from 0-900mv, was one constantly at a low voltage? if so I'd say that it's faulty
Old 03-26-2009, 11:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah i think it seemed like it but i mean i dunno... i was sorta pissed/upset at the time anyway just cuz there is so much stuff goin on right now and then i thought my car would run and it didnt run right lol... but yeah i was thinking the left o2 said it was pretty much always running at like 0.1xx and didnt ever really get any higher than that... but i dunno, ill prob. take it to the gm dealership and let them do their troubleshooting deal that they said should tell me the problem... .i called them last week and they said it was only like $30 but i have a feeling that the aldl cable i have will tell me the same stuff and i'm just wasting $30 to have them tell me nothing is wrong sensor wise...
i dunno what to do! its been one hell of a week

would an o2 sensor throw a code though? i have 0 codes thrown right now and i really wish it would just tell me what the hell it is lol

Last edited by squeals99; 03-26-2009 at 11:49 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a bad o2 should throw a code. but you have OBD1 so it does whatever it wants with codes haha

Quick Reply: Cutting out at idle and all the time basically