LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Is catback exhausts illegal to have on cars?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is catback exhausts illegal to have on cars?

I had my hooker catback installed a few weeks ago and today I went to a exhaust shop to have them weld up my y-pipe to the mid pipe. So as I was coming home a cop pulled me over for loud exhaust...he says anything thats not factory is illegal. I was pissed cause weeks early I was stopped for the same thing but that time was understandable cause I only had the exhaust dump before the axle so it was loud. This time the car is tame at idle even with the cam. I know the cop was being an *** cause soon as he let me go there was dark /orange trans am that past me and the cop whipped a u-turn and stopped him too !
Old 03-27-2009, 02:57 PM
TECH Resident

hooker exhaust is the same i have on my car and it really is pretty tame when your not really getting into it

but it is technically illegal especially since you are not running cats so feel lucky you got let off with just loud exhaust

by the sounds of it the cop was being a jerk and i see you are from IL so that kind of explains it around where i live i dont get much attention because half of the trucks around town are twice as loud as my car
Old 03-27-2009, 03:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1994Z28Lt1
hooker exhaust is the same i have on my car and it really is pretty tame when your not really getting into it

but it is technically illegal especially since you are not running cats so feel lucky you got let off with just loud exhaust

by the sounds of it the cop was being a jerk and i see you are from IL so that kind of explains it around where i live i dont get much attention because half of the trucks around town are twice as loud as my car
Cop wasn't being a jerk. Your county/city has a noise ordinance and your car violated it. Plain and simple, its there way of keeping everyone from running open headers or similar.

Check to see what the Db reading is for car exhaust.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

i hav a hooker catback on mine sounds beast when your givin it throttle but its not that loud at idle or cruising and ive never had any problems
Old 03-27-2009, 03:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by z28rob18
i hav a hooker catback on mine sounds beast when your givin it throttle but its not that loud at idle or cruising and ive never had any problems
Honeslty, it all depends on the officer that see's you or hear's you. Some let it go, other like doing there job to the fullest. He just got unlucky and ran into the one who stops people for everything.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea lol the cops in my twp suck lol there the kinda cops that break up a high school party and drink all the beer lol ive actually hav had no problems with anything. except the jerkoff down the street from me but i **** him off intentionally
Old 03-27-2009, 03:20 PM
Launching!

I have a hooker catback and it sounds killer at idle and even better when opened up. Yea like other people said he was trying to be a dick and be super cop
Old 03-27-2009, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yesterday I was traveling down the same road and a cop was right behind me for a couple miles why he didn't pull me over I don't know... but It's bad enough I have shorty headers and it would suck ***** to add another muffler !
Old 03-27-2009, 03:42 PM
TECH Resident

Okay, i've been through this before when i had my M3 and i know the lowdown. here is how it goes:

There is a maximum Db level allowed for cars and if you pass that it is illegal. Most cops don't have Db reading equipment on them so there is a law that says that if the cop uses his judgement and feels that the car is too loud, then it is illegal. basically it gives the cop the right to give you a ticket depending on how he feels about your car.

you can't do anything about it. you'll have to get under your car, monkey off your exhaust, put some stock **** on, go to the station and get it tested, pay the 20 dollar fee, then put your old exhaust back on and be more careful around cops. I mean, you must have been f***in around because if you were cruising theres no way he could have heard your exhaust. and if your exhaust really IS that loud at cruising/idling speed, maybe you deserved that ticket. lol
Old 03-27-2009, 04:07 PM
Banned

Anything over 60 DB here will not pass emissions. I actually failed Smog/Emissions with my Magnaflow and mids last year because it registered at 61.2...stupid I know. On the other hand I have never had any issues with the Police. Magnaflow even has a 50 states legal sticker they send with their cat-backs. My question is, how the hell do these loud *** ricer Honda's make it through Emissions with their Nasa approved rocket ship exhaust systems? It's all pretty much a joke in my eyes, emissions/smog that is. Before we know it we are all going to be on horseback and cruising around in wagons again.
GO GREEN!

Last edited by Elliott's94Z; 03-27-2009 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:13 PM
TECH Resident

im just gonna buy the millennium falcon and state emissions can suck it
Old 03-27-2009, 04:38 PM
TECH Addict

I've never gotten pulled over for exhaust notes. all the kids with stupid *** fart cans always do. ahahaha

sorry to hear that. no cats = bad tho
Old 03-27-2009, 04:43 PM
TECH Resident

yeah, no cats will get you in trouble. i have a highflow cat and it gets me past smog while retaining the performance benefits of no cat
Old 03-27-2009, 05:00 PM
TECH Addict

Illinois State law states that anything other than stock is technically illegal. I got pulled over for loud exhaust one night. Luckily, I got off with a warning though. Of course it had to be a state cop. I've been told by city cops though, that they can't pull you over for loud exhaust unless someone has called in a complaint though. I just think it's extremely stupid that Harleys and basically any bikes can be louder than ****, and the cops don't give a damn. But, if a car is even half as loud as a bike, you're going to get pulled over.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a 94 so I'm not worried about the emissions.. but I'll post up a video so you guys can hear for yourselves.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:32 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ThoR294
I've never gotten pulled over for exhaust notes. all the kids with stupid *** fart cans always do. ahahaha
same over here. i have WOT'd to pull out in traffic to see a cop next to me and have him pull over a civic a mile down the road. i have Pacesetters ORY and Magnaflow.

they dont really mess with muscle cars around here anyways. thank god.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got pulled over 5 times in the firebird with dumped 1 chambers and never got a ticket. I thought hooker was one of the quieter catbacks.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:40 PM
TECH Resident

ive noticed cops tend to pull over bimmers and ricers for exhaust, not so much V8's/muscle cars. it's nice... now that i have the lt1
Old 03-27-2009, 05:48 PM
TECH Resident

I got pulled over for almost running a red and the cop asked me to rev it when he was walking away lol. I have pacesetter lt's and 3" ory into the stock catback and it sounds awsome, i know i could get 10-15 more hp if i went to aftermarket, but i dont like the super loud as it is my dd.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by nik1703
ive noticed cops tend to pull over bimmers and ricers for exhaust, not so much V8's/muscle cars. it's nice... now that i have the lt1
I think its because v8's sound alot better than the annoying buzz of a ricer or the insane midrange drone of a bimmer (unless its am with a v8). but i do love bimmers, i drove an m3 and it was pretty cool, it was the 330hp il6, so i was weird hearing a 6cyl and being quick.lol

Quick Reply: Is catback exhausts illegal to have on cars?