Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new muffler

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 07:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default new muffler

i want to replace my flowmaster. the guy who owned it before me bought the magnaflow cat-back and cut out the magnaflow muffler for a flowmaster. ive heard the flowmasters suck on are cars so i want to replace for something louder. i want a direct replacement. i dont want to modify anything. what is a muffler that i can just swap out? i want something really loud with headers but with no drone or raspyiness.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:01 AM
12 Second Club

Well, the first problem I see is that you said the previous owner "cut-out" the Magnaflow and installed a Flowmaster, yet you want a "direct replacement". Anytime something is "cut-out", then it's no longer just an easy bolt-in deal. You would probably save yourself a lot of frustration and trail and error by just getting a new catback system rather than piecing in a muffler to "fit".

As for loud and no drone, well, GMMG and Corsa are probably the best for that. Go to LS1sounds.com and do some research.

Good luck.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yea the previous owner just cut out the magnaflow and welded the flowmaster in place. i was hoping i could just do the same with a different muffler. i love the sound of my flowmaster but its going to be holding me back when i do heads/cam/intake/headers. do you think it would be easier just getting a cut-out so i still have sound and i wont loose any power?
Old 03-28-2009, 08:13 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you like the sound, put a cut out in the I-Pipe for when you need the extra power. Believe me anytime you modify these engiones, the exaust gets louder!!!
Old 03-29-2009, 09:21 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 00 black ss
yea the previous owner just cut out the magnaflow and welded the flowmaster in place. i was hoping i could just do the same with a different muffler. i love the sound of my flowmaster but its going to be holding me back when i do heads/cam/intake/headers. do you think it would be easier just getting a cut-out so i still have sound and i wont loose any power?
Don't believe all the hype about the flowmaster "holding you back". If you like the sound, keep it. You're not going to notice a difference other than your wallet being lighter. I mean, it's only behind a magnaflow or corsa by about 5-10 horse. Big deal......
Old 03-29-2009, 11:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

im going to end up keeping the flowmaster and put a cutout on the i pipe
Old 03-29-2009, 09:49 PM
On The Tree

i also have a crappy flowmaster and have been looking for a good and quiet muffler like the magnaflow that i could just swap in place of the flowmaster muffler and have wondered if its as simple as just buying the magnaflow muffler and taking it to an exhaust shop and having them swap it out.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:52 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah usually it's that simple to get a new muffler put in. If it wasn't welded, just call up a buddy, split a 6 of brew and yank the f***er out yourself. I did that with my magnaflow recently.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IMO Dynomax sounds good