Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Anyone else got a leaky rear end?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 12:15 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Anyone else got a leaky rear end?

My rear end is leaking a little bit, its all over my catback and a little on the garage floor. At a recent dyno day most people were leaking from the rear, but is it that common a problem? Anybody brought their car back to the dealer or anything like that? It's really pissing me off and I won't have a 12 bolt for awhile
Thanks guys,
Rob
Old 10-22-2003, 01:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Anyone else got a leaky rear end?

Based on my experience leaking from the pinion seal and where the axle tubes attach to the housing is common with the stock rearends. I too had the pinion seal replaced on my 10-bolt at about 12k miles due to leakage.
Old 10-22-2003, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its a very common problem with all GM 10 bolts. I have seen maybe one rearend in 10 that does NOT have a leaky pinion.
My car has 14,000 miles on it, and I recently went to a 12 bolt Moser. The original 10 bolt was leaking with less then 4,000 miles on it, and I had to add fluid to it at every oil change.

I sometimes wonder what GM is thinking of when they continue to mass produce a rearend with a known leak problem.
Old 10-22-2003, 07:17 PM
Teching In

My 10 bolt had a leaky pinion seal when I bought it. Nothin big just saw it was a little wet below the pinion. But my moser 12 bolt leaked since new from the cover gasket. Nothing fast just a few drips overnight so ar 500 mi I threw the siliconed paper gasket away and used some good silicone and now no leaks .
Old 10-22-2003, 08:56 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So anyone bring their car in under warranty for the problem? I have an internship at my local pontiac dealer.... I would never take my car there. I've heard good tings about the chevy dealer across town but those guys at Pontiac/Buick/GMC are incredible
Old 10-22-2003, 11:02 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine leaked at 1000 miles.It's pretty normal and even with a new seal it will leak soon after.
The only way to fix it is to install a solid pinion crush collar.That will help stop the pinion from moving causing the leak.
Old 10-26-2003, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

mine is leaking and i was going to bring it to the dealer monday but i didnt want to take off my line lock and drag radials so i changed plans and started hooking up the NXL. i didnt know this was such a common problem so maybe i'll just leave it alone for now.
annother question... is anyone elses auto tranny leaking? i was going to bring it to the dealer for that too.