LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Changing Blocks???

Old 03-28-2009, 03:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing Blocks???

I have a 95 Trans Am with 150,000miles on it that I have just bought a Procharger for. I will be installing it shortly and had a few thoughts I wanted to see if they would work. I would like to run some decent boost and not blow up my motor, but I also don't want to spend a ton of money on getting all forged internals.

So I have another motor in an older Trans Am, the motor is out of a 70 Nova I think. It's been blueprinted and had all the maching work done with only a few hundred miles on it since the rebuild. It has forged pistons, bored 30 over, new cast crank and rods, new bearings, and it's been all put together with ARP bolts. Is it possible for me to switch my fuel injection, ignition system, heads, intake, and all that good stuff from my LT1 and just use pretty much the bottom end of this block? Since it's all new and has forged pistons, and since it's at 8.5:1 or 9:1 compression, wouldn't I be able to make a lot more power with that block? Would it even be worth it? And it would be much cheaper than buying that stuff new for the LT1 since I already have it.

Oh ya, the reason I was thinking about this is because if the car gets hot I have 0psi old pressure at idle and have to raise the idle a little to get good pressure back.

Would I be able to run a lot more boost? How much more power could I make, safely?
Old 03-28-2009, 03:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by brewersprts
I have a 95 Trans Am with 150,000miles on it that I have just bought a Procharger for. I will be installing it shortly and had a few thoughts I wanted to see if they would work. I would like to run some decent boost and not blow up my motor, but I also don't want to spend a ton of money on getting all forged internals.

So I have another motor in an older Trans Am, the motor is out of a 70 Nova I think. It's been blueprinted and had all the maching work done with only a few hundred miles on it since the rebuild. It has forged pistons, bored 30 over, new cast crank and rods, new bearings, and it's been all put together with ARP bolts. Is it possible for me to switch my fuel injection, ignition system, heads, intake, and all that good stuff from my LT1 and just use pretty much the bottom end of this block? Since it's all new and has forged pistons, and since it's at 8.5:1 or 9:1 compression, wouldn't I be able to make a lot more power with that block? Would it even be worth it? And it would be much cheaper than buying that stuff new for the LT1 since I already have it.

Oh ya, the reason I was thinking about this is because if the car gets hot I have 0psi old pressure at idle and have to raise the idle a little to get good pressure back.

Would I be able to run a lot more boost? How much more power could I make, safely?
You cannot bolt on LT1 heads/intake to a Gen I SBC motor. LT1s utilize reverse flow cooling, Gen I SBCs do not. All of the cooling passages are different, along with dozens of other minor changes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Changing Blocks???