Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bump stops?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 08:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bump stops?

Should i get rid of these? Will it hurt/help anything? I'm not sure if i'm hitting them now. Will it make my tire hit? Only running 26 inch now.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:54 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Before you run the car next time, get a silver great marker and cover the bump stops with it, and clean the rear where the stops would hit.

You see any grease pen get on the rear end.. then it's hitting the stops and they need to go.

I would bet that they're probably hitting, and the car will leave better/more consitant with them out. Before I took mine out the car would leave, hit the stops and unload the rear end abotu 30 feet out and spin the tires like crazy. Took the stops out, dropped the 60 foot by a tenth and a half and picked up .3

No other change.

Granted that's an extrame case, but it was cuasing my car to unload like mad and spin... if you're seeing anything like that happening I'd point strait at the bump stops.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:25 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks i took them out today while i was disassembling my brakes, i just thought i would ask just to make sure. What if you just leave the plates in without the rubber just to make sure? I am going to make a brake post also. I don't have the money for drag brakes. Should i just buy new drilled/slotted or what if i had my stock rotors turned quite a bit. They still have lots of meat on them just old a bit pitted. Would that reduce the weight a bit? Are there any new rotors that are lighter than others other than the Baer's?
Old 03-29-2009, 05:51 AM
Race your car!

I dunno about a stock replacment rotor that's any ligher, the design of the drag brake rotor and caliper are what make them so light.

Upgrade to the drag brakes when you can, for now I'd just cut the stockers and put some pads on, make sure they aren't dragging and call it a day.

I just unbolted the rubber mount off my car 2 years ago and no problems. The 28x10.5S et drags cleared, so I left it. When the minitub gets done that's when I'll be hacking all that out.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:53 AM
TECH Regular

OK thanks that is what i may do. I Don't want to waste money on stock replacement rotors or upgrade them until i can get something lighter. I'll just cut the stock rotors a bit and run the EBC red pads.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:02 PM
Race your car!

Any low dusting pad just to keep down on teh wheel polishing is a win IMO. Better to do that and go cheap, if the drag brakes are in the plan to purchase.