General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Advice on Oil, Spark Plugs, Etc..

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 08:56 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on Oil, Spark Plugs, Etc..

Ok guys..I just recently bought my first LS1 and gonna start doing some basic maintenance on it. I was told the car had Synthetic Oil (MOBIL 1) put in the car. But just got some questions. I have been reading about SEAFOAMING, and the car now has 71K on the odometer, and Just thought maybe I should do it to see what it could change/Clean-out. So do u think this should be done or not? Good or Bad Problems doing this? Also Im gonna Change the oil, but Should I stay with M1 or look at Royal Purple?? Is one better than the other? Finally I am also thinking about changing out the plugs??What are the best to go with?? I am not sure what is in there now.. Any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I just don't wanna run into any problems or damage anything.

Also Should there be any other things I should check or consider to do at the mileage im at now?
Old 03-28-2009, 09:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i wouldnt seafoam it.. why take the chance of breaking up a bunch of gunk in your engine and having it clog your lifters and stuff up?

im against using seafoam in the oil unless you have a major problem that would require tearing the engine down to replace (like a severely clogged lifter)

but thats just my opinion..

its basically the same reason why people do not recommend getting a high mileage transmission flushed.. it breaks up all of the crud that is taking up the gaps inside, removes it so you have an even bigger gap and increases your wear.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by STREET99
Ok guys..I just recently bought my first LS1 and gonna start doing some basic maintenance on it. I was told the car had Synthetic Oil (MOBIL 1) put in the car. But just got some questions. I have been reading about SEAFOAMING, and the car now has 71K on the odometer, and Just thought maybe I should do it to see what it could change/Clean-out. So do u think this should be done or not? Good or Bad Problems doing this? Also Im gonna Change the oil, but Should I stay with M1 or look at Royal Purple?? Is one better than the other? Finally I am also thinking about changing out the plugs??What are the best to go with?? I am not sure what is in there now.. Any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I just don't wanna run into any problems or damage anything.

Also Should there be any other things I should check or consider to do at the mileage im at now?
I run Royal Purple 5W-30. Seems to work the best for me. Heard good things about the German Castrol too. NGK TR-55s r gonna be your best bet for plugs right now. Actually just replaced mine today. It's a bitch in case you were wondering. Seafoaming is a good idea. But it's personal preference. If you don't feel comfortable doing it, then don't. Run Seafoam through the gas tank too. Then immediately after you run that tank out, change your fuel filter. Did mine last night. Not hard at all and I'd never done it before. Tranny fluid and rear end oil are good ideas too. I run Royal Purple in those as well being that they work best for me. All I can think of right now man. Good luck with it.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:32 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Ok guys..I just recently bought my first LS1 and gonna start doing some basic maintenance on it. I was told the car had Synthetic Oil (MOBIL 1) put in the car. But just got some questions. I have been reading about SEAFOAMING, and the car now has 71K on the odometer, and Just thought maybe I should do it to see what it could change/Clean-out. So do u think this should be done or not? Good or Bad Problems doing this?
My car is 11 years old, my 427ci is 7 years old with over 100,000 miles. Every time I change my oil I get the engine up to operating temp, drain the old oil out, then put 2 new quarts in along with TWO quarts of engine flush. Let it run for 5 minutes and drain it all out. Then put the new 6 quarts in.

Also Im gonna Change the oil, but Should I stay with M1 or look at Royal Purple?? Is one better than the other?
Opinions here will vary. I personally think synthetic oils are a waste of money and do nothing more for an engine than regular oil. My 100,000+ miles on a stroker engine proves regular oil is perfect for an engine. It still runs likethe first day I started it up 7 years ago and has ZERO breakdowns or failures.
I use 20W50 regular oil. South Florida.

I know very few people that use synthetic oil around here. So, to each his own.

Finally I am also thinking about changing out the plugs??What are the best to go with??
NGK TR55 or TR5 (they are 100% identical plugs, so whatever the store has get them). Gap them to .050-.055, whatever one, they will both be perfectly fine. I split the difference and go .052

Change the rear-end fluid.

Run a full can of Sea Foam through a 1/2-3/4 tank of gas. THEN.....change your fuel filter.

Do the top end engine cleaning with a can of Sea Foam. Use the entire can. Brake booster hose method is good. Don't bother trying to spray a can into the intake, it doesn't do anything.

Check the radiator coolant, see if it needs a flush. 71K is a good time.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I run Pennzoil Platinum synthetic now. I have been hearing some bad things about Mobile 1. Supposedly the PP is good to go.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:18 AM
Launching!

A couple things:
1) I believe that the last owner of my new Camaro said he put M1 Synthetic. would it be bad or good if I drained that to put in like Castrol GSX or something regular.

2)I don't know why I feel nervous about Seafoaming my Camaro(MY last car, my mustang I would sea-foam ever other oil change, and never had a problem), but maybe its cause of it being a different style car and has ALOT more mods. So Im just guessing that I Should take a pass on this or Should it really be done? I would Sea-Foam the car before I change the oil, That also what I use to do with my Mustang.

3)I will probably do the Sea-foam(whole can) in my gas tank. But where can I find info to locate the fuel filter. I have an Idea where it is but just thought I would ask? Or is there a How 2, for showing how to replace them?
Old 03-29-2009, 12:23 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

A couple things:
1) I believe that the last owner of my new Camaro said he put M1 Synthetic. would it be bad or good if I drained that to put in like Castrol GSX or something regular.

2)I don't know why I feel nervous about Seafoaming my Camaro(MY last car, my mustang I would sea-foam ever other oil change, and never had a problem), but maybe its cause of it being a different style car and has ALOT more mods. So Im just guessing that I Should take a pass on this or Should it really be done? I would Sea-Foam the car before I change the oil, That also what I use to do with my Mustang.

3)I will probably do the Sea-foam(whole can) in my gas tank. But where can I find info to locate the fuel filter. I have an Idea where it is but just thought I would ask? Or is there a How 2, for showing how to replace them?
If you don't want to sea foam the engine oil before you change the oil, dump a couple quarts of engine flush like I explained above.

Jack the driver side rear tire up, you'll see the fuel filter attached to the frame right in front of that rear tire. Looks like a black short coke can. Taking it off is easy, takes 5 minutes to change it out.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

When you change the fuel filter remove your fuel pump fuse from the fuse box and start the car. This will relieve most of the pressure. I had some pressure spray out still but this usually makes it better. Also remove the gas cap and break the seal.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:08 AM
HWI
TECH Enthusiast

Isn't there a schrader valve on the fuel line that you can relieve pressure from, like where you would attach the fuel pressure gauge? You'd just have to put some rags around it to catch the the gas that comes out.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HWI
Isn't there a schrader valve on the fuel line that you can relieve pressure from, like where you would attach the fuel pressure gauge? You'd just have to put some rags around it to catch the the gas that comes out.
Yes there is.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You will be catching a lot of fuel in that rag. Even after running mine with the fuse out there was some pressure in the line. A lot of fuel as well.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:24 AM
Launching!

Everything you need to know about replacing the fuel filter:

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm
Old 03-30-2009, 11:31 PM
Launching!

I still am not sure if I should Sea-Foam the car. Also, not sure if I should just use regular Castrol GSX and not put in Mobil 1 again for new oil.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:10 PM
Staging Lane

This link has every pro, con, debate, arguement, precaution and side effect of Seafoam. All of your answers are there...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...-your-car.html
Old 04-02-2009, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no need to use an engine flush or to Seafoam your car. You just got it, you don't know anything about it, and to simply start doing stuff because somebody else told you is begging for trouble. Spend your time reading through all the back posts, look stuff up in Google, and take your time to know WHY you want to do what people are telling you to do. Then you can decide for yourself. People can be pretty bossy, and the way they have done things for (various days/years/decades) is the best/only way to do things.

NGK plugs are good. Take a good look at your plug wires. Any big name oil in a 5w-30 is good, as is any big name filter except Fram. Synthetic is up to you, but find out why you want it first. 3k to 5k mile oil changes are normal. The big thing is that you DO change your oil and filter regularly!

As for other things to maintain...first thing to do is get a maintenance book. Chiltons or Haynes. Check your brake pads for wear, check your discs for cracks or blueing, check your brake fluid, change your tranny fluid and filter, change your diff lube (don't forget the friction modifier), check your air filter, get a flush/fill for your coolant (stick w/Dexcool if your car still has it and it isn't all full of brown junk), the fuel filter change was a good idea (along with some fuel system cleaner). Take a close look at your serpentine belt. It may need replacement and is probably one of the easier things to do.

Last edited by Mr Incredible; 04-02-2009 at 10:14 AM.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mr Incredible
There is no need to use an engine flush or to Seafoam your car. You just got it, you don't know anything about it, and to simply start doing stuff because somebody else told you is begging for trouble. Spend your time reading through all the back posts, look stuff up in Google, and take your time to know WHY you want to do what people are telling you to do. Then you can decide for yourself. People can be pretty bossy, and the way they have done things for (various days/years/decades) is the best/only way to do things.

NGK plugs are good. Take a good look at your plug wires. Any big name oil in a 5w-30 is good, as is any big name filter except Fram. Synthetic is up to you, but find out why you want it first. 3k to 5k mile oil changes are normal. The big thing is that you DO change your oil and filter regularly!

As for other things to maintain...first thing to do is get a maintenance book. Chiltons or Haynes. Check your brake pads for wear, check your discs for cracks or blueing, check your brake fluid, change your tranny fluid and filter, change your diff lube (don't forget the friction modifier), check your air filter, get a flush/fill for your coolant (stick w/Dexcool if your car still has it and it isn't all full of brown junk), the fuel filter change was a good idea (along with some fuel system cleaner). Take a close look at your serpentine belt. It may need replacement and is probably one of the easier things to do.

Ok cool..Thanks alot for the info. The guy I actually bought the car from he gave me a Haynes Manual. but ya I will start with doing those Basic maintenance things first.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:14 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mr Incredible
change your diff lube (don't forget the friction modifier)
What is the Friction Modifier??

And any advice on a good Fuel Inj. Cleaner.?? I have heard good things about Lucas.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What is the Friction Modifier??

And any advice on a good Fuel Inj. Cleaner.?? I have heard good things about Lucas.
its for the lsd/posi

you will see small bottles of it around the gear oil section of your parts store

its usually called lsd additive or something like that
Old 04-11-2009, 02:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by slvr98camaro
its for the lsd/posi

you will see small bottles of it around the gear oil section of your parts store

its usually called lsd additive or something like that
OOOoo..OK, good to know.