LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

New Cam, New Tune - qestions???

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Cam, New Tune - qestions???

first off I made a thread stating my experience with a CC503 no tune issues.
sorry so long but want you to hear the whole story

Well I got my tune from Bryan at PCMforless and initial startup was great. Idle sounded badass 700 rpm, air/fuel was fluttering between 14.5 - 15.0. Got in the car went for a ride. I wasn't extremely happy with power it put out initially. I then took it for a cruise ran basically like stock (no surge, miss, studder) nothing. I then maybe 10 mins into the drive see my air/fuel drop into the 11's. I romped on her and seemed to "cleanout" then ok. Came up to a traffic light and saw it dip into the 10's, light turned green, started driving and surged and stumbled. I pulled into my buddy's garage on the way, to check the car out. I looked over the engine and wires- nothing was wrong or un plugged. I then started to heard a slight miss. I pulled injector pigtails to find the miss. None of the injectors showed a instant increase in rpm when plugged back in (later found out the injector table remains disabled for a pre determined time after reconnected). I then went to work and scanned my car. I had 2 codes one for the injectors and one for a heated O2 sensor. I cleared the codes and took her out for a ride - ran great! I then got my 2 tickets and on the way home started to dip into the 11's air/fuel (check engine light popped on, then went out after it cleaned up). Can a bad heater circuit in a O2 sensor cause an excesively rich condition?

Last edited by HottestZ28; 03-28-2009 at 09:28 PM.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HottestZ28
first off I made a thread stating my experience with a CC503 no tune issues.
sorry so long but want you to hear the whole story

Well I got my tune from Bryan at PCMforless and initial startup was great. Idle sounded badass 700 rpm, air/fuel was fluttering between 14.5 - 15.0. Got in the car went for a ride. I wasn't extremely happy with power it put out initially. I then took it for a cruise ran basically like stock (no surge, miss, studder) nothing. I then maybe 10 mins into the drive see my air/fuel drop into the 11's. I romped on her and seemed to "cleanout" then ok. Came up to a traffic light and saw it dip into the 10's, light turned green, started driving and surged and stumbled. I pulled into my buddy's garage on the way, to check the car out. I looked over the engine and wires- nothing was wrong or un plugged. I then started to heard a slight miss. I pulled injector pigtails to find the miss. None of the injectors showed a instant increase in rpm when plugged back in (later found out the injector table remains disabled for a pre determined time after reconnected). I then went to work and scanned my car. I had 2 codes one for the injectors and one for a heated O2 sensor. I cleared the codes and took her out for a ride - ran great! I then got my 2 tickets and on the way home started to dip into the 11's air/fuel (check engine light popped on, then went out after it cleaned up). Can a bad heater circuit in a O2 sensor cause an excesively rich condition?
Sounds like the O2s, thats what i would check or replace, if there built up with carbon, they won't function right, & will jack with the fuel tables, i would also make sure the MAF bars are clean of any crud.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:18 PM
On The Tree

I wanted to actually replace the O2's just for maintance but ran out of cash, plus $85 a piece for O2's sounds expensive.I heard not to use anything other then ACDelco sensors.

I also don't like a WOT air/fuel of 12.5 but I want to find out the other problem first before I go asking for my tune tweeked.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:43 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by HottestZ28
I wanted to actually replace the O2's just for maintance but ran out of cash, plus $85 a piece for O2's sounds expensive.I heard not to use anything other then ACDelco sensors.

I also don't like a WOT air/fuel of 12.5 but I want to find out the other problem first before I go asking for my tune tweeked.
I have bosch o2s in mine for the last 8 months..no issues yet.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:58 PM
Launching!

i dont have to worry about the 02's anymore. it was totally worth it. i'll never run them again.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:57 PM
Teching In

Bosch o2's for 2 seasons. No problems.

Quick Reply: New Cam, New Tune - qestions???