Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

new Ls7 balancer install question

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 09:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new Ls7 balancer install question

Can you guys tell me if the balancer needs to be indexed or in a specific orentation when placed on the crank? It does not have a key way but I notice it has balance holes drilled in the face. Is any position ok as seen in the pic? The red marker was put there by the factory and went through the old bolt head and washer. I bought a few new bolts since it is TTY hardware.

Thanks Rich
Old 03-29-2009, 10:40 AM
Launching!

I had same question.see below for what the book says, although not sure its important. It would be hard to get balancer on exactly same position. What if you used an aftermarket balancer as many have without problems.
There is a final balancing step with LS7 motors where they fire engine up on natural gas and I think this is where they decide to add weights to balancer.
Doesnt look like your balancer actually has any weights.
The factory slash is probably signifying that the balancer bolt was torqued, rather than alignment although it would serve this purpose

•For manual transmission applications, note the position of the crankshaft balancer before removal. The balancer does not use a key or keyway for positioning. Mark or scribe the end of the crankshaft and the balancer before removal. The crankshaft balancer must be installed to the original position. If replacing the crankshaft balancer, note the location of any existing balance weights, if applicable. Install new balance weights into the new crankshaft balancer, if applicable. Crankshaft balance weights must be installed into the new balancer in the same location as the old balancer. A properly installed balance weight will be either flush or below flush with the face of the balancer.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:37 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the reply, I looked at some photos of the back and front of the engine when I unwrapped it from the crate, and turned the engine to that position it was before it was disassembled. It looks like I mounted the balancer about 30 additional degrees clockwise from the original position. I cant find any bolt on or glued on balance weight. Perhaps I should pull it and get it closer- thoughts

Rich
Old 03-29-2009, 12:14 PM
Launching!

The weights, if there are any, press in the holes drilled around perimeter of balancer. Your motor may have not needed any, making position of balancer on crank irrelevant I would think.

Quick Reply: new Ls7 balancer install question