Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mixing headers and y-pipes from different companies. Problems?

Old 03-29-2009, 10:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mixing headers and y-pipes from different companies. Problems?

Are most y-pipes about the same dimensions or do they make them for their headers only? How important is it to use a Pacesetter y-pipe with Pacesetter headers? I just bought a Pacesetter y-pipe but I don't have any headers yet. Will it fit with other headers? I was considering buying some of the Ebay only headers like these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-99...Q5fAccessories

How much modification should I expect to make those headers fit the Pacesetter y-pipe?

What about mixing other companies? SLP headers and a Pacesetter y-pipe?

The reason I ask is because I can't do a whole lot of modification. Anything I buy needs to be as "bolt-on" as possible because it's all being done in the driveway. I've got jacks, jack stands, air compressor and basic tools but no way to heat anything up to bend it or weld it.

Would I be better off just buying Pacesetter headers?

Any experience would be appreciated.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

you need to buy pacesetter headers. If you want some other headers, sell the y-pipe you bought, and you could get some nice stainless headers from LPP with a y-pipe for $600
Old 03-29-2009, 11:53 AM
TECH Resident

More trouble than it's worth I would say. I'd just have one custom made at an exhaust shop if you are going with those headers.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

The Y pipes are made to fit certain headers as they are not all the same. That's not to say that your Y wouldn't fit other headers but you can't count on it unless you can find someone who has tried that particular combination. I have the pacesetter Y on my car and it fits well. The only downside to it is the merge is not the best, so if you use it you should spend some time with a grinder opening it up. And I would recommend installing poly motor mounts at the same time you do headers. The Y pipes all bang on the floorboard unless you do this and it's easy to do while the headers/manifolds are off the car.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:32 PM
On The Tree

I appreciate it guys. I'm going to try to get some Pacesetters then. LPP is a whole lot out of my price range. The only way I can do anything to this car is by buying used parts, making deals, and doing everything myself. I also don't have a way to get the headers on the car and then drive to an exhaust shop for a custom y-pipe, so everything has to bolt on in the driveway.

Once the headers and y-pipe are on there I intend on having a Flowmaster merge installed.

I knew about the motor mounts, but thank you for mentioning it. I just made a bellow out of a Fernco pipe and did the throttle body bypass mod and when I fired it up to test for leaks, I noticed my engine rocking back and forth quite a bit more than it should. I think I need motor mounts anyway, so I am going to try to get solid mounts.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:34 AM
Launching!

I bought the same headers from eaby and used the pacesetter y-pipe, it worked fine i cut mine down tho so i could put cats in when i need to do the emissions bs and the put in straight pipes when i dont need the cats

Search this Thread