Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Mods to increase durability of 4l60E

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 03:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default DIY Mods to increase durability of 4l60E

I have done some searches on the suject and didn't come across a whole lot of information.
My question is : What aside from a trans cooler,deep pan, and shift kit can be done by a DIYer at home to increase the durability of the 4l60E?

Servo's?
Install different clutches? (I do not know the amount of work involved in this)

please post anything you know of.

Also, if you have any knowledge of in depth information available on rebuilding or modifying the 4L60E please post.

Old 10-23-2003, 11:53 AM
SSU Moderator

Default Re: DIY Mods to increase durability of 4l60E

Alto red clutches, kevlar band, transgo shiftkit, converter.

you can do it yourself if you want to. may want to try it on a spare one just in case.
Old 10-26-2003, 12:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what i did was copy down what parts are offered in aftermarket transmissions, and see which ones showed up the most.

what i saw was raybestos blue plate clutches everywhere (with some exceptions with cheaper build options) and kevlar bands, usually the raybestos "pro series" black kevlar band even as an upgrade to the extra wide bands out there.

stage two crap was commonly a 29 element foward input sprag, although i havent a clue as to what this is for. also a input drum / shaft / sungear shell? most of them use "the beast" its a reaction shell. i also saw sometimes a 13 vane pump kit, which will keep your trans pressure from becoming irregular over 5,000 rpm.

the last thing i saw for stage twelve transmissions was a change of planetary gearsets. most places offered a 5 planet set, although one place offered 5 planets for -6300rpm applications, and a 4 planet set (although im sure much stronger then the stock 4 planets) for 6300+ rpm

last, they ALL had the hundred-dollar-bag of springs and washers. mostly transgo, although some places used their own shift kit. sometimes the servos come with the package too.

this is crap i plan to buy and give to my autotrans guy.
i heard that not just what you use,
but HOW its put together matters when building an autotrans.
if that is the case, he can have the job.
Old 10-26-2003, 12:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stone0fFire

this is crap i plan to buy and give to my autotrans guy.
i heard that not just what you use,
but HOW its put together matters when building an autotrans.
if that is the case, he can have the job.
Truer words have never been spoken. I've seen stock rebuilds run into the 10's consistantly, and megabuck "brand name" upgraded rebuilds fail over and over on 12 second cars.
Old 10-26-2003, 10:29 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for additional information guys. I was sure that internal clearances and hidden tricks have a great deal to do with tough trannies.

What I am interested in doing now is doing little minor things to help the stocker live a better life. I am not going to try and fool myself into thinking I have enough knowledge to build a bulletproof motor. I'll leave that to a professional until I get some more knowledge.

I have heard of people using billet servo's and such any thoughts on those?
Old 10-27-2003, 09:13 AM
On The Tree

Wherever you go, make sure your 'trans guy' is ATSG certified on the 4L60E and ask to see the certificate!
Old 10-27-2003, 02:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ATSG certification?
i didnt know such a thing existed.
thanks for the info!
now i will ask for that next time because this trans is already making funny noises, grinding and clunking under acceleration

about the servo,
i *think* it will make your trans shift harder,
but it doesnt say anything about the other things that a transgo will do
i should have brought this up earlier, but the transgo fixed my trans issues
it no longer takes forever to go from R to D,
and doesnt wait and CLUNK when it goes in gear
doesnt wait and.. just let me get the propaganda..

here it is=
fixes engagement delay/bang
reduces 3-4 clutch failure
i swear there was more,
but get this kit.
i wont have another autotrans without it.

after the transgo and three washers if its not shifting hard enough THEN i would get the servo. but what do i know? ask around.
Old 10-27-2003, 05:18 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Well, I'd....

-Keep the rpms down
-Run a big trans cooler
-Flush the tranny fluid every year
-Not hotlap the car at the track
-Don't beat on the tranny when the temp is over 220F.
Old 11-01-2003, 04:15 PM
On The Tree

www.bulkparts.com offers every single piece you would need to upgrade. I am a bulk customer there.

The basic rebuild:

Master kit (including clutches and steels, gaskets, rings, seals)
Filter
Band
Bearing kit
Trans fluid

Upgraded rebuild should include: (high stall, hard shift)

Coated steels
Better clutches
boost valve .500"
Sun shell
Sprag (s)
Accumulator spring upgrade
Pump slide spring upgrade
Kevlar band or wider metal band (stock width kevlar better)
Shift kits (better than programming)
Servos (help hold the band)

For high rpm engines:

Pump upgrades
High rpm planets

Pump and planets upgrades are expensive (or you can modify your own pump for less). Everything else can be found fairly cheap. Usually a good buildup for a high stall will cost you ~$500 in parts. Not including the price of converter, cooler. The upgrades above with a 3500+ stall will damage a 10 bolt rear in a short amount of time.

Last edited by 2000WhiteZ28; 11-04-2003 at 03:04 PM.
Old 11-03-2003, 04:41 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lerajie
My question is : What aside from a trans cooler,deep pan, and shift kit can be done by a DIYer at home to increase the durability of the 4l60E?
Step 1: Remove transmission.

Step 2: Take transmission to highway overpass.

Step 3: Throw transmission off of overpass (when there is no traffic, of course).

Step 4: Install a professsionally rebuilt transmission.

Seriously, though, just run that trans until you kill it, which you will. The stock transmissions are POS'. Like everything else from GM recently, the design is good, but they put s*** for parts in them.

The Corvette servo definitely makes a difference. The shift will be firmer, not harder. The servo has more surface area, so it generates higher pressure, without increasing the line-pressure.

My recommendation would be to just bite the bullet, and get the thing rebuilt (properly). You do that, and you'll never have to worry about it again as long as you own the car, providing you maintain it.

Before I got mine rebuilt, I was considering adding the fix-kits and the servo, to take care of some problems it had. By the time I figured up the amount of labor and money that I would be expeding to install those, I might as well get it rebuilt. Especially, because you're going to spend $600+ on parts and labor to have the stuff installed (unless you do it yourself), even more if you have somebody pull the tranny for you. A rebuild will run you around $1500.

What got me thinking, though, was that I would be spending $600+ for installing the fix kit and parts, but then, what about when the tranny ate it? Then, I will have to get it rebuilt, so I'd be looking at the cost of the parts and install now, plus the cost of a rebuild later.

So, just some stuff to think about.

Quick Reply: DIY Mods to increase durability of 4l60E