LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

write up on lt1 header install?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 05:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default write up on lt1 header install?

hey guys, i tried the search but did not find what i was looking for.
im going to be installing some LT's headers with NO emissions.
its a 97 lt1 trans am.

i was wondering if there is a write up on this or if some one can tell me what i will need to do? i have done installs on ls1's but never an lt1.

also i know i will have to block off the egr and i already have the plates, but HOW do i remove the a.i.r system ( the tubes that come out of the manifolds?)

if there are any diagrams or write ups please send a link or any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:39 PM
Launching!

Ok as for block off plates i left my egr valve in place on the back of the intake and the metal tube running to the passenger side exhaust manifold toward where the y-pipe bolts up i just made a plug and some black rtv and stuck in that and no problems. ok you have to remove air intak system, alternator, air pump is just a few bolts and take it off there is no plugging up you need to do. remove y-pipe, and starter. then start unbolting the manifolds. once manifolds are loose take plugs out. some people take steering loose to put in headers but i didnt have too. i just did this less than a month ago. then i got drivers side header in from bottom and passenger in from top. worked like a charm. then reverse steps putting it back together. But as far as air goes just pull the pump out and if you have a cold air intake (plug the hole in that) and that is it as far as air pump going bye bye.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:48 PM
TECH Regular

I'd install the EGR plates since you have them and make sure that the vac line you disconnect from the EGR unit gets plugged. The airpump stuff will all unbolt as described although the metal tube that takes air from the pump to the passenger side won't come out unless you cut it. You are headed with this to possibly have check engine codes for either and I'd say good excuse for a PCM retune since you are doing the LT anyway why not. Otherwise if you've done a LS1 F body LT install the rest should be pretty similar and maybe even a bit less tight in there...
Old 03-29-2009, 06:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah this is going to be my 1st lt1 install. i know the headers may be a pain but i know ill get them in there. i was most curious about removal of the air system. usualy i just dive in and start taking crap off that does not seem neccasary. well from the 2 post above it does not seem too hard.

i have the block off plates, im just waiting on my copper gaskets, plugs wires, and locking header bolts.

oh btw will i need o2 extensions?

is that metal tube that takes air from the pump to the passenger side manifold in the front of the motor or the rear?

thanx for the helpful info.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:02 AM
Launching!

pipe your talking bout is at back of intake right next to the egr valve and goes to the passenger side manifold. you can see it but its at the back. yes you will need o2 extensines and that is all i would recomend for that. you can cut the wires and splice them so they are longer, but that is not the recomended step. And if you get an ORY pipe than your rear o2's you can just zip tie the connectors up somewhere out the way. cause the ORY doesnt come with o2 bungs and really you dont need the rear o2's. so yeh its not that bad. i just dove in on mine and when it was all done i was like wow that was not that bad. the only thing i messes up is i got pacesetter LT's and i love them, but i used there shitty paper/foam gaskets. they have not blown out yet, but from what i read they will eventually. o well live and learn. i had mine done in a total from start to finish in under 20 hours. that with me and my buddy that was helping me we were goofing off half the time. so its not as bad as people say. Good luck and have fun with it. also be ready for busted knuckles ( the famous lt1 busted knuckels lol)

Quick Reply: write up on lt1 header install?