General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

short somewhere?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 02:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default short somewhere?

My cigarette lighter doesn't work. I took the car to autozone to get codes scanned and that wouldn't work because the lighter wasn't working. So I checked the fuse and it was missing, so I bought some fuses and I put one in. It instantly fried it. So my question is does anyone know whats wrong, and how to fix it? Thanks for any input im out of ideas...
Old 03-30-2009, 08:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unplug the cig. lighter and re-install the fuse. If the fuse doesn't pop, then your cig. lighter is shorted - replace it.

If the fuse STILL pops, you have a short in that fuse's circuit. Figure out what else that fuse powers and start unplugging things one by one to find the short.

If you don't want to keep wasting fuses and have an ohmmeter available, remove the fuse and check the resistance between the load side of the fuse and ground. If you find a dead short, start unplugging stuff one by one (as stated abopve) until you get an open on the meter. That'll tell you where the short is.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, ill look at that once I can get my hands on a multimeter.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For about $12, you can get a more-than good Craftsman meter that has everything you'll need for this and any future electrical problems.