PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM tuned, still seeing misfires...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 04:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Default PCM tuned, still seeing misfires...

Simple question, if my mail-order tune was supposed to fix the "misfire torque converter unlocking problem", will I still see misfires accumulating in my LS1M tool?

I know this sounds obvious, but I need someone who knows to let me know.

I am assuming that if my tune is correct, and compensates for the misfire problem with a high stall, I should not be seeing constant misfires any longer, and my TC shouldn't be unlocking on the highway.

Or, is it normal for the misfires still show up but the TC is never commanded to unlock or something...?

This was all working fine, then I changed tires on the rear and misfires go through the roof when I hit a bump in 4th and a second or two later the TC unlocks. I'm trying to see if maybe it wasn't corrected in my tune.

Thanks guys...
Old 03-30-2009, 08:22 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There's no way to tell without seeing the tune.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends on how whether he just told it not to set the SES light or actually maxed out the values in the misfire tables.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:04 PM
10 Second Club

Look in Engine Diagnostics....you need to load 32764 into ALL the Misfire tables.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:54 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
Look in Engine Diagnostics....you need to load 32764 into ALL the Misfire tables.
No you don't. You don't need to max them out as that totally disables the misfire detection. You can multiply them by as little as 3 and do away with the TCC unlock issue. I usually multiply them by 5 for mail order tunes as I don't want people to have to send them back a second time.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
No you don't. You don't need to max them out as that totally disables the misfire detection. You can multiply them by as little as 3 and do away with the TCC unlock issue. I usually multiply them by 5 for mail order tunes as I don't want people to have to send them back a second time.
So, if the tuner did the maxing out of the tables, I should NOT see misfires in my scan tool because they are disabled, right?

And if the tuner did this multiply by 3 or 5 method, I will see them but it takes a lot more of them to kick out the TC?

Thanks guys,
Old 04-01-2009, 01:27 PM
10 Second Club

Yes, if they are ALL maxed out then it should be disabled. Edcmat's way would desensitize it dramatically. I believe either way you can still read misfires, but you won't get the code (sometimes or ever depending). But leave 1 sneaky little table untouched (& there are several) and it will still happen and it will go into limp mode - the indicator being no TC lockup.