Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Head unit mounting depth?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 03:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head unit mounting depth?

Hey Guys

I was wondering how much depth is available in a 98 camaro once you remove the mounting tab for the monsoon? I am interested in getting the new Eclipse CD5030 when it comes out, but Crutchfield says it will not fit the camaro. According to Eclipse's website the unit is 7 and 1/4 inches deep. I was wanting to use the HU mount, but I could go with another mount that would give me more space if it doesn't look too hideous.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:47 AM
On The Tree

Crutchfield lists the Camaro as having 5 and 3/4 inches of depth for the head unit. Does anyone here have any idea how much more depth you gain by removing the back mounting tab for the stock monsoon unit?
Old 04-01-2009, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pending i remeber sunday i can measure when i jump in a camaro to do an install, odds are u will be fine there is a decent amount of depth
Old 04-01-2009, 07:07 PM
On The Tree

Pentavolvo

Thanks, that will be a big help, otherwise I figured I would just have to go ahead and pull out my monsoon and measure the depth.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Not sure how deep my pioneer deck is, but there was some plastic tab back in there I had to whack off to make it fit. Maybe that is the monsoon mounting tab you were referring to?

Anyway, seemed like a decent amount of space in there.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Not sure how deep my pioneer deck is, but there was some plastic tab back in there I had to whack off to make it fit. Maybe that is the monsoon mounting tab you were referring to?

Anyway, seemed like a decent amount of space in there.
Yeah you have to break or cut that tab off, even then my RCA head unit just barely fit, the aluminum heatsinks were touching whatever is back there.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:35 AM
On The Tree

Looks like I will just have to pull the monsoon and see what I have back there. I am planning on waiting until after Crutchfield ships out the preorders and gets some customer feedback anyway.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry i never got around to that intall this weekend due to **** weather
Old 04-06-2009, 08:02 PM
Teching In

Please let me know what you find out, im interested in this head unit also. If there are no answers by this weekend I will check myself.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:47 AM
On The Tree

I changed my days off around this week to go see the Disturbed show so it may be next weekend before I can get into the dash to take measurements. If your waiting for the eclipse, there is no rush. According to the thread I just read on car audio forum, Eclipse has told Crutchfield they won't be shipping to retailers until early may.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

I went out and pulled the head unit today and took some measurements. Right side of the opening is the most restrictive; there is aprox 6 and !/2 inches of depth to a black plastic electronics module of some kind mounted to the ac housing and to the AC vent duct in the upper corner. On the left side of the opening there is aprox 6 and 3/4 inches of depth to the ac housing. The greatest clearance seems to be in the middle, there is approx 1 and 3/4 inches behind the stock mounting tab. I forgot to measure to the tab, but it looks like Crutchfield depth of 5 and 3/4 was accurate with it left in place.

Depending on how the eclipse is laid out in the back it may fit with a 1/2 inch or more probably a 1 inch extension, but until there are some pictures available of the back of the unit there is no way to tell. As a result, since I have not been satisfied with any other single din unit I will probably get a double din.