LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

crank hub HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default crank hub HELP!!!!

So i just took off my crank hub and on the crank there is a slot like there is a key that goes there but there isnt a groove for it on the hub. How do you know when you go to put it back on that it is on correctly?
Old 03-31-2009, 08:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah our hubs arent keyed they just press on kinda sucks. there is no alignment
Old 03-31-2009, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

so....putting it back on is just a guessing game? Does it affect the the engine if it isnt perfect?
Old 03-31-2009, 09:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nope

Alignment doesn't matter since ours is just a pulley. I tried ordering a keyed crank adapter from Thunder Racing, but apparently they've been back ordered for months.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

if i doesnt matter on how it is put back onto the crank then why do we have external balencers on our car?
Old 03-31-2009, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

doesnt it have to be placed on there just right to keep in enginge balenced?
Old 03-31-2009, 09:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by litch2004
if i doesnt matter on how it is put back onto the crank then why do we have external balencers on our car?
We don't. The front has a harmonic damper, not a balancer. If you want to be able to gauge the crank position by the pulley arrow, you should put it on like it came off. Also, if any of the holes in the pulley are filled with a weight, it should be put back on like it came off. Some had very minor adjustments made at the factory. (I know, I know, but it is still not a balancer ).
Old 03-31-2009, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by shbox
We don't. The front has a harmonic damper, not a balancer. If you want to be able to gauge the crank position by the pulley arrow, you should put it on like it came off. Also, if any of the holes in the pulley are filled with a weight, it should be put back on like it came off. Some had very minor adjustments made at the factory. (I know, I know, but it is still not a balancer ).
o ok. i know which way it cam off because the key slot on the crank left a mark on the hub. So if it put it on there fairly close then i should be ok...right?
Old 03-31-2009, 10:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Get it as close as possible. That way you can keep the proper orientation of the arrow on the balancer.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok good. now when i go to replace the oil pan gasket (because it is leaking) how is the easiest way to do this with it all still in the engine bay?
Old 03-31-2009, 11:55 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Also, if any of the holes in the pulley are filled with a weight, it should be put back on like it came off. Some had very minor adjustments made at the factory. (I know, I know, but it is still not a balancer ).
Is there any documentation with this? I would think it was more for zero balancing the damper rather than the engine. Especially since those that may needed to be tweaked did not end up with a keyed hub.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Is there any documentation with this? I would think it was more for zero balancing the damper rather than the engine. Especially since those that may needed to be tweaked did not end up with a keyed hub.
Yes, it is documented in the factory service manual.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From the factory service manual 6A3A-13.

Crankshaft BALANCER Assembly and Hub.

A. Set number 1 piston assembly to top dead center.

b. Install crankshaft hub with cast arrow on hub in the 12 o'clock position.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:52 AM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by GIZMO
From the factory service manual 6A3A-13.

Crankshaft BALANCER Assembly and Hub.

A. Set number 1 piston assembly to top dead center.

b. Install crankshaft hub with cast arrow on hub in the 12 o'clock position.
Technically the LT1 is internally balanced (at least most of them) on the front and externally via flywheel/flexplate in the rear.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:13 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ss rrr
technically the lt1 is internally balanced (at least most of them) on the front and externally via flywheel/flexplate in the rear.
lol!!
Old 04-01-2009, 12:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Neutral in the front and external balance in the rear, that's right.

The hubs and pulleys should be neutrally balanced. It was only in the case of "fine tuning" that the factory put any weights in the pulley. That is why most people don't have an issues when installing the hub in any which way. Of course, if you change any of the rotating assembly, it no longer matters anyway.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:45 PM
TECH Addict

Neutral in the front and external balance in the rear, that's right.
I have a new GM Corvette and a new F-Body balancer. The Corvette has balance holes drilled and the F-Body has metal added (balance weight). Have you ever noticed that the hub and balancer only go together one way? I guess that GM did that by accident? And when they wrote installation instructions in the shop manual it should have said, "If you want you can install it this way"? At 5200 rpm it probably won't make a difference what you do, but if you install a bigger cam and up the rpm's it will probably beat the crap out of the motor over time.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the imput but as far as the oil pan gasket goes how hard is it to change with engine in the bay and cross member still installed.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:22 PM
Village Troll

At 5200 rpm it probably won't make a difference what you do, but if you install a bigger cam and up the rpm's it will probably beat the crap out of the motor over time.
Not true. I ran a stock balancer running to 6100 almost every day when my car was a daily with LPE heads/cam. Ran that setup for 70K miles. Tore the engine down years later and the crank/rod bearings were pristine. Same thing after I installed an 847 cam and ran that for a few years turning 6500rpm on the stock block. Tore that block down and bearings were like new.
I'm running an aftermarket stockish type damper now (can't remember the brand name) and turning 7100rpm. I have all the faith in the world it will be fine. I also have faith there are thousands who've run the stock damper, installed it however, ran it past 5200rpm with great success.
I fully believe GM states that just to cover their *** in case of any sort of bottom end problem. I was told by some of the rockstars at Lingenfelter the LT1 was indeed internally balanced in front and externally in the rear. I think if you ask anyone who is familiar with the LT1 you'll get the same response. My engine builder, who has been building LT1's for the last 9 years also states the same. If you'd like to find out for yourself you can call them.
Burtonsville Performane and Machine:
(301) 490-3131

Last edited by SS RRR; 04-01-2009 at 05:40 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:26 PM
TECH Veteran

I have a new GM Corvette and a new F-Body balancer. The Corvette has balance holes drilled and the F-Body has metal added (balance weight). Have you ever noticed that the hub and balancer only go together one way? I guess that GM did that by accident? And when they wrote installation instructions in the shop manual it should have said, "If you want you can install it this way"? At 5200 rpm it probably won't make a difference what you do, but if you install a bigger cam and up the rpm's it will probably beat the crap out of the motor over time.
If you are disputing that LT1s are neutrally balanced on the front and externally balanced on the rear, I don't know what to tell you. All that I have read from a lot of people (incl engine builders) over the last 10 years says this is correct.

Quick Reply: crank hub HELP!!!!