Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls-1 Offroad racer time for an upgrade..

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls-1 Offroad racer time for an upgrade..

I currently have a LS1 from Turnkey Engine supply it is there 450 hp version the motor has been great and the time has come for some more power. This is going in my new rear engine desert/rock crawler racer .The buggy will be raced in long and short races as long as 1,000 miles and as short as 50miles I am looking for super strong super reliable .What can I do to the current motor.Turnkey told me 383 stroker for around $4,500 using my existing motor..Thanks J.R.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What is your budget? Does it have long tube headers? You could do a head and cam combo with a fast 90/90 intake/throttle body. That would probly get you 75-100 more fly wheel hp.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JR (The JR with the famous Bronco?) - no replacement for displacement.. A LS2-based 402 stroker can give you lots more bottom end to get the tires spun up, and still pull hard up top. A 383 using your current block is also a good bet and would save you some bucks.

Also, I think you'd be best served to request a custom cam from someone who's familiar with something like autocross, where they have to pull hard from low engine speeds. Most of the cams out there are designed for cars, with far less rotating mass.

Are you running an accusump on your current engine? I know mine doesn't seem to like being run after flopping *at all*.