Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about the hose from oil filler neck to the top of the throttle body.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 11:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question about the hose from oil filler neck to the top of the throttle body.

I bought a ported throttle body and it arrived today. When I was playing with it I noticed that the tube in the top of throttle body was removed and filled in. On the stock throttle body that tube has a rubber hose going to the oil filler neck on the passenger side valve cover. I am assuming that the tube is for ventilation and uses vacuum from the throttle body to relieve pressure, but I don't know and I couldn't find my answer in a search.

Will not having this hose affect my car negatively? Is this anything I should worry about? If so what can I do to fix it? Will a breather cap on top of the oil filler create the same ventilation?

I won't be installing it until next week so it's not a big deal I just need to know what to do with it. Thanks.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:15 AM
TECH Junkie

its FILLED IN??

that's the PCV connection on the TB.

it allows metered air (already passed the MAF) to be pulled into crankcase via the inlet on the valve cover.

then there is a vacume port on the lower passenger side of the intake manifold "neck". that draws the air from the crank case. a few inches from that port on the intake manifold is your PCV valve.

do some searches on PCV and catch cans....plenty of info on it.

as long as the vacume connection on the intake is plugged, you can remove the PCV system and put a breather on the valve cover.

it should run fine...but i like having the PCV there to keep the rings seated
Old 04-01-2009, 07:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by teke184
its FILLED IN??

that's the PCV connection on the TB.

it allows metered air (already passed the MAF) to be pulled into crankcase via the inlet on the valve cover.

then there is a vacume port on the lower passenger side of the intake manifold "neck". that draws the air from the crank case. a few inches from that port on the intake manifold is your PCV valve.

do some searches on PCV and catch cans....plenty of info on it.

as long as the vacume connection on the intake is plugged, you can remove the PCV system and put a breather on the valve cover.

it should run fine...but i like having the PCV there to keep the rings seated
I'm not 100% sure we're talking about the same exact thing. I took some pictures to clarify.

This picture is of the stock throttle body where the tube is located.

This is the new throttle body. The red circled part is where the tube was and has been filled in with metal filler.

And this is where the rubber hose comes from. I was mistaken, it does not come from the oil filler neck, just near it on the valve cover.

So what do I do with that rubber hose? Just plug it up and leave it? Or do I need it connected to the throttle body?

Also, I noticed that the throttle body I removed was covered in oil where that rubber hose was connected to the original throttle body. And the rubber hose pictured was coated with oil on the inside. Is that normal?
Old 04-01-2009, 07:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that is the fresh air source for the engine. air flows into the engine from there, then it comes back into the intake through the intake port. you need that port, id call whoever did that crap and get it fixed. without proper ventilation your oil will become acidic and you will have to change your oil allot more often.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:59 PM
TECH Junkie

that IS the PCV system.

the hose that "has no connector" is the air in...since it's pulling from after the MAF sensor the air is metered...already calculated by the ecm.

the hose that is below and behind that hose in the picture is the air out for the PCV. it sucks air from the valve covers and crank case...that air it sucks is let in though the hose you have no connection for.

right now your PCV is pulling unmetered air since the inlet hose is open to the outside air. extra air in the engine that the ECM hasn't calculated results in a lean condition...which will cause you ECM to compensate by adding more fuel.

the PCV is a good thing. it sucks that they blocked it off.

honestly i would send the TB back....they shouldn't have removed that provision without specific instructions to do so.

only way to "fix" the issue now is to put some kind of connector between the maf and the TB.....OR....to remove the entire PCV system and put a breather on it.

Quick Reply: Question about the hose from oil filler neck to the top of the throttle body.